Author Topic: Cheap way to fill those autoracks  (Read 5750 times)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Cheap way to fill those autoracks
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 08:03:24 PM »
There's always the Bachmann option:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=909

You get 15 plastic cars, plenty good enough for inside-a-rack silhouettes, for $16 full retail price. You should be able to find them "on the street" for less than that. Oh, and they throw in an older-style auto rack for free. :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 12:39:24 AM »
If you don't need a specific prototype, Kato's 1978 Toyota Crown looks somewhat like a mid 70s Chrysler or Ford full size sedan.

http://www.blwnscale.com/Kato%20Vehicles.htm

You do need to paint the tires, but they are also cheap!    ;)

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »
I've often looked at the Bachmann car when it turns up at auction, but no matter how cheap it goes, I can't bring myself to buy it.  Sure, I can use the autos, but I hate paying anything for the car when it'll end up in the scrap heap.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 12:01:27 PM »
The cars on the Bachmann carrier are not as good as their vehicles produced seperatly. They can be modified to look better, but I would go with a Bachmann blister pack first.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
I know it wouldn't help those trying to fill open auto racks, but what about an etched metal silhouette insert for the RC enclosed racks? I don't think it even needs to be 3-D.  It could just be a piece that you fold into a upside-down "T" shape that stands up in the center of each deck. They could be made with variations for pickups, SUVs, mixed loads etc. Make them generic to avoid any licensing problems.

Even though engineshop's efforts are innovative and commendable, I almost think it would be better if the silhouttes were painted black.  As has been pointed out by others in the past, RC outdid themselves on the see-through effect on their racks. You shouldn't be able to see through them that easily. A simple 2-D silhouette painted black might work to subdue the effect. Anyway, it would be easy to do a trial with artwork cut from cardstock to see if it's feasible. I might try it if I have time.

Just thinking out loud,
Pete

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
Pedro,

I think you may be on to something with the card stock.  I remember as a kid having die cut card stock "models" of vehicles that you punched out and folded the printed image of the vehicle into a crude 3D model.  Who knows, it just might work. 

;D

And, I agree that the RC autoracks without the anti-vandalism panels are a little too easy to see through.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 01:41:35 PM »
I know it wouldn't help those trying to fill open auto racks, but what about an etched metal silhouette insert for the RC enclosed racks? I don't think it even needs to be 3-D.  It could just be a piece that you fold into a upside-down "T" shape that stands up in the center of each deck. They could be made with variations for pickups, SUVs, mixed loads etc. Make them generic to avoid any licensing problems.....

As an MLE product idea, I had seriously considered making some rather crude and basic semi-3D etched metal vehicles for this very purpose. But then I starting thinking that they might be a little too visible in the RC racks (without the "vandalism panels") and the crudeness might show through a bit too much.

Russ