Author Topic: MTL - Ship Engine Load  (Read 6493 times)

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: MTL - Ship Engine Load
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
I believe FM made half the submarine engines for the USN in WWII. Also landing craft engines. I think they made tugboat engines, also. This could be one. Could be a war surplus load enroute to new work or scrap. Wasn't there a website that covered securing loads? I think Model Railroader had an article on it in the past. Something different, and not costing an arm and a leg. I might even get one. Fran
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 04:34:36 PM »

Not very detailed...

For an MSRP of $15.65 including the car how much detail can we expect?

I just meant that it looks like a block with a coupler smaller blocks on it. I've seen $5 toys at walmart with more detail relief molded.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »

Not very detailed...

For an MSRP of $15.65 including the car how much detail can we expect?

I just meant that it looks like a block with a coupler smaller blocks on it. I've seen $5 toys at walmart with more detail relief molded.

You could add stuff on it to make it unique . The hard part is already done .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:01:02 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

bsoplinger

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Dunnage, that was the word I was looking for, thanks 3rdRail.

My gripe is that since they had to make a master to mold, why not model the dunnage right on the thing? Its not like anyone is going to go out and purchase the load separately as a stand alone item, although someone might buy the load to put on other cars. So at least model the dunnage as part on the engine load.

The blocking and bracing would most likely need to be done by hand, I do agree with that.

But I think things would look much better with just the dunnage around the engine. Just my $.05 (adjusted for inflation)  ::)

Anything would look better than nekkid loads...

I just noticed that the huge bucket that was the load on a depressed center flat they did a few months ago (SCL perhaps?) is available as a separate load now, as is the case with all the MT loads, they seem to show up later as purchaseble (is that a word?) items. That huge bucket wouldn't just have gotten plunked down onto the middle of the flat and sent on its merry way. It'd have been bracked and blocked and there most likely would have been plenty of dunnage at least under the bucket.

If anything that load looks even sillier just balanced there on the middle of the flat car than the ship engine load.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
Theres gotta be more pics out there:
http://parovoz.com/gallery/20060701_37439.jpg

up1950s

• Crew

Richie Dost

3rdrail

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 06:21:05 PM »
I got out the AAR Open Car Loading Manual for 1933 and was unable to find blocking and bracing instructions for any such load. Evidently these large Diesels were a World War II phenomenon. I was going to scan the loading diagram and post it here, but someone will have to find a more current Loading Manual!  :-[

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »
I would think it would have some sort of steel frame to spread the weight and supply proper fastening lips so the engine can be bolted to that frame . Then that frame would have extensions to facilitate the unit to be rodded as 3rdrail suggests to the flatcar pockets . That frame would be reshipped back to FMCo for reuse . Then again I bet there is more than one way to lock it in place so as to be within the railroad safety rules .

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:17:25 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »
Pistachio I think . ;D

Baskin-Robbins? Good call!  :P

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:04:45 PM »
Pistachio I think . ;D

Baskin-Robbins? Good call!  :P

"Hmm... looks like lime
sherbert..."

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

umtrr-author

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »
Didn't 3rdRail start a thread about getting your own stuff manufactured? 

Well...  ;D