Author Topic: ATLAS U23B Undecs - a short review  (Read 2042 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
ATLAS U23B Undecs - a short review
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:55:02 PM »
Recieved my new U23Bs on Tuesday night .Gave them a short run on my unfinished home layout on Tuesday night.On close inspection I was quite impressed with the looks and the heft of the DCC plug-n-play units.They rolled down the track very quietly ,the golden white LEDs are quite brite.

One thing I found interesting and one that I'm not sure I like is the fact that the only thing installed on these undecs are the couplers.Those finely sculpted handrails can be a real challenge to install.The unit comes with snowplows ,and coupler cut levers to be installed by the owner.I'm planning to buy a couple shell assemblys once they are available so I can update my older U25Bs.The unit also comes with your choice of headlight housings. including both cab and lownose mounted headlights.

Last night (Saturday) I took the locos to club and ran them on the 2TRAK layout to test their pulling capcity.I got up 22 freight cars of various manufacture before I reached the stalling point.I had planned to double head the locos and keep adding cars but never got around to it.

These locos come with one of three different truck assemblys depending on what the prototype used.the undecs are available the same same with with your choice of cab headlight,nose headlight or both ,There are also two cab options either a two window or four window,again depending on prototype.I am extremely pleased with my two units and allready know I will be buyng more of them.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: ATLAS U23B Undecs - a short review
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »
Thanks for the review! I would guess that the theory behind not having the handrails and other details installed is that most modelers would paint their undecs and would have to remove the details anyway. The decorated versions come fully assembled.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
Can you supply some photos?

I myself would rather have undecs without pre-installed details.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
Here's a quick shot just taken on my under-construction N scale photo-diorama.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made