Author Topic: Mahoning Valley RRs  (Read 2501 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Mahoning Valley RRs
« on: January 22, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
Here is a fancy little drawing :

Drawing on "an oft overlooked detail" thread

For everyone else. Yellow is the original Erie, red is it relocated in the 70's. Yellow box is old station, red is the new. Yellow X is where I work. Blue is the B&O (CSX) Green is the PRR (NS/Ohio Central)

We've kind of busted the thread Lee started so I started a new one to post this track plan.

This is what I WAS going to do to capture the area Chris posted and highlighted.  It turned out to be too complicated for a layout that would have to move someday.  That and I couldn't capture the massive nature of the steel business in a way I was happy with in such a limited space.  So I moved my modeling effort out of "da Valley" completely. 

I guess you haven't had any better luck finding photo of trains in Warren than I have.  I've been after my Dad to do some research on the realignment project since he has the toughest part done:  Photos of what used to be there.  Does the Trib have microfilms going back to the 60's?  I'm trying to get him to write an article for the ELHS magazine.

Steve

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Mahoning Valley RRs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:47 AM »
Steve,

I haven't ever seen a photo of the guantlet track until the one you posted. I have this, but you cant see much:

BTW this was in a book that The Tribune produced.

I haven't yet talked to anybody at the paper, but I do know who to ask and should.

If you find any other photo please share, even if via E-mail.

Oh yeah the Penn Central goes under the B&O and Erie, This photo was taken from the B&O and is of the Erie bridge. PRR is going for a swim:

This is a postcard.

I like your plan, but it would NEED to be before 1960 for me  ;D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:47:44 AM »
Here is a link to a map of the area (so others know what we are talking about):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Warren+OH&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=16&ll=41.230783,-80.815773&spn=0.011538,0.026822&iwloc=addr
Just South is WCI steel complete with blast furnace and rolling mills. They just got a loan approved to buy an arch furnace. I drive by this place everyday while going to work.

Sadly all of Erie's tracks have been removed.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:18:44 AM »
Oh yeah the Penn Central goes under the B&O and Erie, This photo was taken from the B&O and is of the Erie bridge. . . .

. . . . I like your plan, but it would NEED to be before 1960 for me  ;D

True enough re the PC, but it didn't provide much of a view block as it really was.  Had I built it I probably would have made it correct though and figured out some other way to view block the mill from downtown Warren.

I toyed with a plan using the pre realignment layout.  I'll see if I can find it.

Steve

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »
Geez.  I just played with the Google Map image Chris posted.  My productivity for the day is going nowhere that's for sure.   ;)