Author Topic: Anthracite Railroads N scale survey  (Read 2849 times)

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
Anthracite Railroads N scale survey
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »
Recent traffic on the Anthracite Railroad Historical Society (ARHS) email list has prompted the modeling committee to create a survey about future N scale models, decals, and parts.  You can provide input on what you would like to see in the future in N scale from ARHS by filling out the survey at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=849273105394

Please read the first page before working on the survey.  It gives some background on the economic realities, and what is possible for us to accomplish.  If you keep this in mind when you give your answers, we are much more likely to be able to give you the models you want!

Frank

bsoplinger

Re: Anthracite Railroads N scale survey
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:37:42 AM »
I went to do the survey and came away stymied  :'(

They're asking good questions about buying habits and choices, but then they asked for what models I'd like to see, for example, a Lehigh Valley cornell red scheme on the MT enclosed autorack...

Trouble is, I'm not nearly savvy enough to know what cars are out there by the different manufacturers that match the various Anthracite roads equipment and so I'd be way more likely to make a completely invalid suggestion (like my silly example above) than a good one.

amato1969

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
I hear ya.  I certainly am not an expert, but through email lists, magazine articles, and book references, I have learned a great deal about the LV.  Personally, I would love to model a lashup of the Valley's "Pups", but there is no conversion available in N (the ARHS commissioned an HO version) for the Life-Like SW8.  This is one of the items I noted on my survey.  The Reading, LNE, DL&W modelers surely will have other ideas.

I think the survey is also trying to document how many N scalers will buy only RTR, versus how many are willing/able to kitbash, paint, decal their models.

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »
I just thought I'd take a look at it. It tells me I must enable cookies in order to participate. Funny, I would not be on here if cookies were not enabled. Wonder how many other modelers it is denying access to?

It does not even mention IE7. And, I get too much spam now. The heck with it.

amato1969

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:42:39 PM »
3rdRail, thanks for the feedback.  Apoligies for the tech issues -- I'm just the middle man trying to get the word out on the forum.

I'll get you a plain text version tonight at home.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:08:45 PM by amato1969 »

GRSJr

• Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:46:27 AM »
I too have trouble with the survey. It excludes locos yet they are the mos likely to be suitable for converting to ARHS roads.

For examples: Atlas RS3 is available, but not in LV
                       Atlas and LL GP38-2 is avaliable, but not in LV
                       Kato PA is not avaliable in LV

and so forth.

It seems to me a good service to both the modelers and ARHS would be done by offering the shells and perhaps the deck & railings in ARHS roads. No need to offer the entire loco if that is a problem.

Ray Stilwell

amato1969

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »
Ray, great comments.  Atlas has thrown us LV modelers a few bones, with the C628 and U23 releases.  I hope IM will do the same with their F7s - I can use two 4-units sets!

I wouldn't hold my breath for any love from Kato, however.  They seem stuck on CB&Q and ATSF.  Fortunately, Microscale makes some nice LV sets, which I am about ready to use on some stripped Kato PAs.

Frank

CRRNJ

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »
I answered the questions in a general manner. With any luck, my answers will be helpful even if they didn't exactly fit the little boxes. Basically I want any rolling stock that is appropriate for the Jersey Central. I would love to have some well done heavyweight commuter cars, but Ill take anything I can get my paws on.

Len

amato1969

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »
Amen to the heavyweight passenger cars!  Keep your fingers crossed, and maybe Walthers will come through with N scale versions of their new HO cars.   8)

GRSJr

• Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:25 AM »
I sure wish Walthers would do their heavyweights in N-scale.

I'm not into HO anymore, but I just couldn't resist the Lake Long, Lake Tracy, Lake Vale, Lake series  Pullman Stantard 10-1-2 Sleeper that ran on the Maple Leaf. There were 4 units, two from NYC to Toronto and 2 from Phila. via Bethlehem to Toronto.

If only they were available in N, I'd buy all 4.

I wish someone would do the 80' Pullman-Bradley coaches like Weaver has in O-scale, but with the modernized ends the Valley cars had. Man, couple these with 2 pullmans and some head end cars and there'd be a wonderful LV train.

My problem with the survey is still that there's no consideration of locos because they cost too much. Why not offer body shells? That's what we need and they would be simple enough to swap that even the ready-to-run guys could use them.

Answer I got was they don't know if manufacturers would supply body shells. How can you know if you don't ask? Why wouldn't they if the price was right? If one buys the body shell, they'd have to buy a loco to put it on. Wouldn't manufacturers want to sell the extra locos and the shells?