Author Topic: Large Industrial Complex  (Read 7670 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Large Industrial Complex
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:23:02 AM »
A couple weeks ago Gregg showed off a nice kitbash that created a good sized industry on his new PRR layout.  Many of you are familiar with my paper mill, but I thought I'd re-visit it again, and open a topic about everyone's approach to creating a large industrial complex.

One of the things that drives me nuts is industrial buildings that are barely larger than the boxcars that serve them.  This seems to be the norm in HO scale, but in N, we have the opportunity to make room for larger complexes, even on a small layout.

Here's the paper mill complex I've built, part kitbash, part modular wall systems, and part off the rack.

There are four major components to the complex...

The warehouse, built from DPM Modular Wall units, with some Evergreen strip stock to tie it all together

The Power Plant,  a kitbash of an old Heljan warehouse kit, with some parts from the junkbox (the twin stacks are leftovers from two Model Power Brewery kits)

The pulp digester is a stock Walthers back shop building, with some details added, like the scratch built conveyors.

and in the middle, the Paper Mill building.  This is a combination of 4 different kits, two Model Power breweries, and two Heljan warehouses.  This image shows you the patchwork before I painted it.

The best part about this project was the cost.  To purchase large structure kits from Walthers can run $40-50 a pop.  I think I did this whole complex on about $50 total.

I'd be interested to see how you have tackled large industries on your layouts...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Large Industrial Complex
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:34:57 PM »
All I have is a 2x7' HO switching layout right now; since I don't really have a place of my own yet, I'm not in a position to start building the "dream layout" quite yet. My big building is this factory built from DPM modular pieces:

This building is scratchbuilt from evergreen siding and strip, with Grandt Line windows. It represents the old railway sectionhouse at Franz:

Prototype:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 07:13:14 PM »
Here's the current pass on larger industrial complexes, although its still kinda smallish:

I have to admit, I'm coming at it a bit backwards. I don't really know exactly what type of industry it is yet, but it's a combination of a few kits. The mostly finished rectangular building is a DPM kit, while the unpainted and taped together structure is a combination of another cheapie DPM kit and a micro engineering one.

The tanks are Walthers (from the paper mill), while the odd shaped building is made up of old Model Power wall sections. I don't know if its going to live there or not.

I need to find some good roll up doors tomorrow at Kleins so I can make more progress on the ME building.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:04:40 PM »

I need to find some good roll up doors tomorrow at Kleins so I can make more progress on the ME building.

Nu-Line makes some nice, large roll-up doors. I used them on the scratchbuilt portion of the appliance factory on my shelf layout.
Sean

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
Save your money.  Get a sheet of N scale corrugated metal siding from Evergreen.  You can make thousands of roll up doors.  Use tube stock for the overhead housing, and some thin I-beam from Plastruct for the side rails.

Stop being a stupid consumer, and MAKE something!!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:39:48 PM »
Too late, I bought some Nu-Line rollups yesterday. I figured I could spare the $1.80, and I'm spending enough time cutting out the door openings (FYI, Micro Engineering made the walls of their kits EXTRA thick...