Author Topic: dusty looking cars  (Read 2478 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
dusty looking cars
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:09:54 PM »
I tried to get a dusty look with these by holding the airbrush a little farther away and going a little stronger with the paint, and then taking it easy with the washes:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: dusty looking cars
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:02:32 PM »
I think they look a little "spottier" than your usual work. I think that's the result of the paint drying in mid air. I think the solution is to thin it either less or more. I forget which.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:21:24 PM »
The molding nub in the center of the roof needs to go ... i have had a little luck with a file ..

bsoplinger

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
I rather like the spottyness he got, guess its a matter of personal preference.

I do agree, the molding nub on the YW really sticks out. For that matter, there's something about the roof of the YW that bugs me too ... Perhaps its that it still looks like plastic. Maybe its too shiny? I just like the PC Rail roof more.

I haven't seen too many roof shots of modern boxcars and I do know they now paint the sides without worrying about overspray getting on the roof, but ....

Is is really that regular in appearance, ie a fixed constant width the whole way around the car? Or would it just feather out to nothingness instead of the more abrupt edge you have?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:37:58 PM »
I think they look a little "spottier" than your usual work. I think that's the result of the paint drying in mid air. I think the solution is to thin it either less or more. I forget which.

Yeah, you're right.  Thinning it more results in a translucent coat that is very even and flat. 

I was going for a look that says "you'll get dirt and dust on your hands if you touch it", as opposed to my usual, "you'll get rust on your hands if you touch it".

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:08:24 AM »
Have you ever used Polly S Dust?  I thought it looked good when applied as an overspray.   But then, I thought my weathering techniques needed some work until I caught on to this site.  Now I KNOW my weathering techniques need some work.

Steve