Author Topic: N Scale convention at Springfield show.  (Read 13578 times)

bsoplinger

Re: N Scale convention at Springfield show.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »
Since I'm too lazy to go over to the Atlas forum (or unpack and get things out or get the pictures from the camera yet), I'll post a quick list of things I saw that's new or recent, in no particular order:

The new metal wheelsets, can't remember who from. I bought a few of the small packs just to look at them. Same company also had a number of small laser cut items, crossings, small buildings, ramps, etc.

Atlas had a pre-preproduction C420 shell there. They're hoping to have them done by year end. The February release of the single sheath boxcars were on display along with the either just released or ready to ship any day now of the latest Kaolin tank cars, look nice as always.

Athearn had F45 and FP45 shells there. Got to actually pick up and look at the Mack tow truck and cement truck and B (I think, the 50's era one) cab. They really are nice models, with rather complete underbody detail. Not convinced they're nice enough to me to pay the price though. They had the current (either just out or just about to be shipped) of their 65' mill gons. Paint is much better than the first release, which really does look like they were dipped in thick gloss paint, and even the second release cars where the paint still looked more like an enameling of the metal than a scale coat of paint but wasn't nearly as bad as the first release ones.

Intermountain said the Trinity's did so well they're already going to re-run one of the first releases. Didn't think to ask if there'd be new numbers or not.

MT had the February releases on display, including a black NS version of the scale test car. Is this the first time that MT has released the same body type 2 months in a row? Also in February (have to look at photo I took to get them all) was a LV flat or gon with a huge generator load.

Kato had some production NW2's on display. They really do have an almost empty cab yet still a decent amount of weight. Didn't see it run to know how well it does. They also had a P42 Genesis with a new MRC brilliance decoder made specifically for the P42. Since I'd already been at the MRC booth before and they didn't say anything about the brillance in N I didn't go back to find out if/when they'll be available and the cost. (Since the Kato PA and E8 take the same form factor decoder I'd be curious what sounds are being used, ie will it only be good for the P42 or will it also have an older prime mover sound for the PA and E units)

Speaking of MRC, they're touting the radio version of their Prodigy Advance system. Didn't get a real answer if older system cabs can be upgraded or not.

Speaking of DCC, NCE was showing off their plug and play module for use with signal systems, including the Atlas system. Seemed like a very nice extremely functional setup from the quick demo I watched.

Speaking of sound and DCC, ESU offers the LokSound micro. Its small enough for 'most' N-scale applications they say. Form factor wise it looks like it'd easily work for tender installs (assuming the tender is big enough for a speaker) and the size is smaller than the N-scale MRC brilliance steam decoder. For use in a Diesel engine, you'd have to remove the factory light board and hard wire in the decoder. The form factor of the MRC Brilliance Diesel with it mimikcing the Atlas board is much nicer. It does have the full library of LokSounds available as opposed to the fixed set of the Brilliance decoders.

N-Scale Architect indeed has produced a new N-scale brick sheet. The sheet is used and laser cut for applying over the laser cut wood for one of their PRR tower kits among others. This stuff is way better than the sheet they had (perhaps still sell) as the HO/N brick which was way too big in N. Price wise its $20 for 2 large sheets, bigger than 8.5 x 11, I'd guess size wise around maybe 9 x 14. Which means its about the same price as the plastistruct sheet in terms of square inches per dollar and looks much better in my opinion. They're also going to be offering a new scratch building material. They say its easier to cut than bristol board yet stronger but can be misted with water to allow it to be bent. Got 2 samples in 2 thickness. Looks like intersting stuff.

Bowser said they're thinking of doing another car in N, probably a boxcar. I chimed in with a suggestion to do the X58 or X65 boxcar considering their rather PRR-centric previous releases.

Bought way more stuff from Scenic Express and the Tool Guy than I should have  ::)

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 10:33:38 PM »
With C420's in addition to the U23B's, GP38-2's, C628's and RS11's Atlas is making it too easy to model the Lehigh Valley!

-Rich

bsoplinger

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 12:27:13 AM »
With C420's in addition to the U23B's, GP38-2's, C628's and RS11's Atlas is making it too easy to model the Lehigh Valley!

Very true, although the earlier GP 38 is needed for the first batches of LVs locos but I think the older Classic style shell will work there. But that covers all the power bought from the 60's on.

Then there's Intermountain's FT, the Life Like PA's, FA1's, FA2's, SW8 and SW9, the GE 44 tonner shell that's out there, the Atlas VO 1000 and the old Kato built RS-3 and quite a bit of the entire roster is covered.

A good GP 18 and GP 9 would be nice and that's got almost the entire diesel roster covered sans the early diesels. The missing bit would be a low nose RS-11 and more F units, late F3s and F7s would complete it.

Except for switchers. An S-2 and S-4 would be great. I personally would love the Baldwin road switcher model DRS-4-4-15 to complete things.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 01:46:55 AM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:26:06 AM by Robbman »

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »
Very true, although the earlier GP 38 is needed for the first batches of LVs locos but I think the older Classic style shell will work there. But that covers all the power bought from the 60's on.

You can approximate the GP38AC's but adding blower duct weld seams with some .006 wire and BLMA fans without the center disc to a plain GP38. Here's one I did (before the fans were available, I need to go back and redo those):

http://www.ryourstone.com/rdg/lv_gp38ac_1.jpg

Are the L-L GP18's any good? I've never seen one up close. Low nose RS11 would make a nice kitbashing project.

-Rich

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 12:22:38 PM »

You can approximate the GP38AC's but adding blower duct weld seams with some .006 wire and BLMA fans without the center disc to a plain GP38. Here's one I did (before the fans were available, I need to go back and redo those):

http://www.ryourstone.com/rdg/lv_gp38ac_1.jpg

Are the L-L GP18's any good? I've never seen one up close. Low nose RS11 would make a nice kitbashing project.

-Rich

Super job on that engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

bobcat

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
A few other tidbits I remembered today.

Kato, the NW2 will be DCC ready and that after the show, the display units were going to a DCC manufacturer(presumably Digitrax) to get to work on it. There will be other roads, released one at a time and announced when finished at the factory and ready for shipment.

Deluxe Innovations, the next release on the Maxi IIIs will be TTX and APL, shipping in 3 weeks with a BNSF release in March.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »

-Rich

I am stunned to hear that Atlas is doing the C420. Hope they do hi-nose.

Monon, LI, N&W, and who else ran high nose C420s?

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:23:02 AM by Robbman »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8563
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
Kato, the NW2 will be DCC ready and that after the show, the display units were going to a DCC manufacturer(presumably Digitrax) to get to work on it. There will be other roads, released one at a time and announced when finished at the factory and ready for shipment.

Brilliant...

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +159
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
I took about 150 shots at the show.

Here a few:
Atlas GP38-2

Kato NW2

And last but not least..... PROOF that Factory Direct Trains has NOTHING to do with BLI/PCM! ;D ;D ;D ;D :P
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +369
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Monon, LI, N&W, and who else ran high nose C420s?

N&Ws were almost all scrapped, the one that survived was low-nosed.

Nickle Plate's?
I like ducks

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:27:56 AM by Robbman »

bsoplinger

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »

They and the GP38's share the same construction and motor. Plastic frame, honking big lead weights, 3 pole motor, pickups wired to tabs on the trucks, shells that aren't that bad but do have the holes to hold the plastic frame in place.

That said, they'll pull an amazing amount, are near bullet proof runners (til the wires flex off, but 2 seconds with a soldering iron and they're good to go again). Cheap, well they were til Walthers started selling them at list price which they aren't worth. But for the $15 to $25 auction price they fetch, good money spent.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8563
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »
Brian is definitely referring to the OLDER GP18s.

The new runs have split frames, like the GP20s and Atlas stuff.