Author Topic: airbrush recommendations  (Read 4732 times)

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
airbrush recommendations
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:50:53 PM »
i'm in the market for an airbrush - i've wanted one for years and never got around to getting one.  now that i'm  knee deep in modeling, i figure it's time.  the only airbrush i've ever used was the Badger 150 many years ago.

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: airbrush recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 09:44:51 PM »
I'm a bigfan of the H series paasche airbrush. I have had it for several years and it has done well.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:38:07 AM »
I have been enjoying the Iwata Eclipse series.  Great stuff, much better than the 150.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:31:27 AM »
found an MR from 1998 that had a primre on airbrushes.  would be nice to use one before i bought it to see how i liked it.  weith that said, i like the features of the Aztec 430 and 470.  the nozzle system seems interesting.

-steve

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »
I have the Badger 155 Anthem, it works great for me.  Easy to clean even w/acrylics, and not overtly expensive.  I had the Aztec 470 but that was hard for me to keep clean as acrylics dry very fast here in Colorado and soaking the tip like Aztek recommends doesn't help much inthat case.

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »
I have been enjoying the Iwata Eclipse series.  Great stuff, much better than the 150.

Iwata was recommended here and so I bought it. I did not notice a big difference between the Iwata and the Badger 150 but when it comes to cleaning there is no comparison.
On the Iwata you rinse with cleaner, pull out the needle wipe it off, put it back and you are done.

Skip

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:56:29 AM »
Tom,

Is it true that you only need one needle with the Iwata? I have the Paasche VL and there are at least 3 different needles.  I'd like to get away from that.

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 01:07:31 PM »
The parts list shows two different sizes but it came with only one.
I never used different sizes even with the Badger 150 that came with 3 and I cannot imaging why I would buy the smaller one that is availble from Iwata.

cr6841

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 02:47:20 AM »
i'm in the market for an airbrush - i've wanted one for years and never got around to getting one.  now that i'm  knee deep in modeling, i figure it's time.  the only airbrush i've ever used was the Badger 150 many years ago.

-steve

i use the badger CRESCENDO 175. it's a great piece, easy as hell to clean, and it comes with a fine, med, and heavy needle set. it's a little heavier than the anthem 155, but more durable and simple to work with. i also have the paasche "H" and "VL" sets. both paasche and badger are great pieces, but the badger is more versatile to me. the anthem was an ok piece, i had trouble with it, and it finally died on me. it had a defective valve stem, along with a hairline crack that i discovered the day i buried it. the entire model is not of brass construction like te CRESCENDO is. the rear section is heavy gauge plastic and electo-plated chrome. the AZTEC is more of a beginner's line. make sure that you keep your airbrush clean inside and out. i use pipecleaners and orange blast cleaning spray, and it works wonders. also, hit your needles and airbrush interior with brass polish, and wipe them clean. the needles should have a mirror finish to them for best action. it keeps them smooth.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
I learned on a Binks single action brush that was older than I am.  Went to a double action Paache after that.  Then bought an Aztec double action when I started spraying more acrylics.  Also ended up with a Paache single action and a Badger 150, been using the 150 lately. 

Bottom line, I've had good luck with them all.  Any inconsistancies could be traced back to paint thinning and air pressure, never the brush. The Aztec has been a little better with Acrylics, but the Badger 150 is fine with the large tip too.  I'd have a hard time picking any one over the rest, they're all pretty good for atomizing paint.

Mile 1

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:38:44 PM »
I use a Paasche MIL brush; basically the same innards as a VL but with an all-metal casing that is more slender than the VL.  My first brush was a Badger 350, which I still have for rudimentary tasks like painting track.  The Paasche is a great setup and I would recommend it to anyone.  I haven't used the Iwatas yet but have heard nothing but good things about them.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 05:05:11 PM »
i had a 40% off coupon for the big box craft store and used that to pickup a Badger 150-5 package.  nice wooden case, 3 needles and nozzles, 2 sized jars, and a cup all for just under $75.00 with tax.  i'm excited - first test is to weather my N-trak module tracks.

-steve

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 02:50:25 PM »
i had a 40% off coupon for the big box craft store and used that to pickup a Badger 150-5 package.  nice wooden case, 3 needles and nozzles, 2 sized jars, and a cup all for just under $75.00 with tax.  i'm excited - first test is to weather my N-trak module tracks.

-steve

did you find the adapter you needed ..

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »
i'm all set John.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:27:16 AM »
i'm all set John.

Thats great .. i picked up one of the cheap wall mart air brush compressors .. they do the trick for me ..