Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo thread - Sept. 28, 2006  (Read 4529 times)

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
Re: Thursday Proto Photo thread - Sept. 28, 2006
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 08:55:44 PM »
A few more from the World of UK preservation - all taken in June 2004

On the East Lancashire Railway (ELR) at Bury north of Manchester, a 3-cylinder ex LMS Jubilee 4-6-0 named 'Leander' which I first saw in a scrapyard in South Wales in January 1968.

Again on the ELR, one of 101 Class 35 'Hymeks' that operated on the Western Region of British Rail, but which were all withdrawn by the mid 1970s

The Great Central Railway near Leicester in the South Midlands is unique in that it is a preserved double line operation. A 2-8-0 dating from the early 1900s pauses with a demonstration freight at Rothley.

The GCR has a large collection of former BR diesels. Here a Class 20 shunts the demonstration freight train at Loughborough while the Station Master for the day looks on.

Cheers, WES

tokenbrit

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 10:12:07 PM »
A few more from the World of UK preservation...

Shaweet - thanks Wes! :)

I've been to the GCR, but not to the ELR...

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:44:53 PM »
I'm curious how a "fireless" steam engine works. Is it basically a pressure tank full of steam that gets charged by an external boiler?

Anyone here familiar with this type of engine concept?

That's exactly what it is. The pressure tank is charged with hot water and steam under high pressure. As the steam is used the hot water flashes over to steam. If one is charged to 300 psi and can operate at a pressure as low as 30 psi, it can operate for quite a while on a charge of steam. These were favored at locations where there is a fire or explosion hazard. I saw one operate at the rayon mill in Elizabethton, TN. Rayon mills were a notorious fire hazard. Mines also used compressed air locomotives of a similar type. C&O actually took delivery of 3 of these fireless steamers from H.K. Porter in 1950!

Neato. Thanks.

bsoplinger

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »
I'm curious how a "fireless" steam engine works. Is it basically a pressure tank full of steam that gets charged by an external boiler?

Anyone here familiar with this type of engine concept?

Use anyplace an open flame was a no-no or where there was ample free steam available. Steel mills used them, they had lotsa free excess heat and no open flame so they could go anywhere. They were used around loading/unloading facilities that had issues with flammable dust, grain, coal/coke that sort of thing. Sometimes used where they'd be near 'the public' like loading docks at a port.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 09:20:58 PM »

My sister and her husband and kids went to an outdoor concert in Virginia featuring our favorite kids' band, Trout Fishing in America. For some reason, the organizers set up the stage a few yards in front of the CSX (former RF&P) main line. The concert was interupted more than a few times!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 10:28:23 PM »

My sister and her husband and kids went to an outdoor concert in Virginia featuring our favorite kids' band, Trout Fishing in America. For some reason, the organizers set up the stage a few yards in front of the CSX (former RF&P) main line. The concert was interupted more than a few times!

Lee

I would think the railfanning was being blocked by the concert .

Richie Dost