Author Topic: Multi-track wooden tressle  (Read 2067 times)

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Multi-track wooden tressle
« on: September 23, 2006, 09:32:16 AM »
I am in the process of building an NTrak layout which will require a bridge that can support 3 lines (red, yellow and blue).  I have a thing for wooden tressles but I have not been able to find any photos of multi-track wooden tressles on the Internet.

This leads me to believe that no one's ever made one.  With this being said, can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can do some proper research on scratchbuilding such a structure?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

3rdrail

Re: Multi-track wooden tressle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 10:09:38 AM »
The reason you have not seen one is that none ever existed. There were some double track low trestles. Three come to mind - Southern Rwy. over Lake Pontchartrain, SP over the Great Salt Lake (Lucin Cutoff), and LIRR over Rockaway Bay. The unrealistic track spacing of Ntrack demands that single track bridges be used, so you'd need three single track trestles. Think about it, a double track bridge with 13 ft. centers requires 22 ft. long ties. A triple track bridge with two 20 ft. centers would require 49 ft. ties! The cost would be horrendous.

So, concentrate on three separate bridges, it'll look much more realistic.

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 06:13:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I kind of figured there weren't any and I kind of figured it was for the same reason.  I'm going to relocate some of the track to accomodate separate tressles as you have suggested.  Thanks for your help.

Dave

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »
BTW, there are two t's and one s. in "trestle.  ;) ;D

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
Southern Pacific had double tracks on a causway style trestle over the Yolo Causway flood plain between Sacramento and Davis Cal. Its still there, but the UP took one track off (for some unknown reason)
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain