Author Topic: The Tom Mann Design Challenge  (Read 13619 times)

KelNScale

Re: The Tom Mann Design Challenge
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
You know how flat panel tvs can be mounted with no visible power cords?   That's the design I'm going after - simple and wife-friendly.

Really make it wife friendly and mount Brio track on it. No feeder wires..  8)

sparky

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 02:42:53 AM »
I wouldn't trust my MP RSD-15's on a shelf with no bracket . Who designed that , the same engineers that designed the Tacoma Narrows Bridge ?

Well Richie, IKEA is a multi-million dollar company.  I'm sure their product liability insurance riders alone would guarantee that anything they sell gets tested to the hilt.  Forward thinking companies are the ones that succeed.  Disco was here to stay too, remember?  Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 04:42:51 AM »
I have a Ikea 6 foot high double door cabinet ( I don't remember that they called it anymore ) that I use in my den for trains . It was designed to fall apart . I had to beef up all the joints and put aftermarket hinges , and strengthened the floor . I , for my own reasons and added casters . Had I not strengthened it , it wouldn't have been my thinking that was outside of the box , it would have been my trains . While they have some stuff that is well designed , and I have 8 other items that are well made , not everything Ikea is so . The store floor plan comes to mind . It stinks , as well as all those meaningless names they shove in our face . That shelf is also not well engineered , unless it is used as a shelf that is protected by being within a box . What kind of designed weight is 16-33 pounds . Weasel words is what that is . Like the phrase some throw at us "We only use genuine parts " Useless fodder for idiots to find comfort in . I know enough to know that shelf shouldn't be used for anything you care about , or used if there is a chance of it accidentally being pried up or down . 16 pounds and what to you get , your stuff on the floor , and crease marks on your wall . Then once the bolts bend , try removing the shelf without causing more damage . The shelf is of poor design for most uses .

Disco .... I always thought and still think that was girly music . Some liked it , I never did .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:52:17 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 04:53:35 AM »
Perhaps folks could also do an 'around the corner' design using the long shelf and short shelf in a "L" shape. Just a suggestion as not everyone has a room with 10 linear feet (other than a living room)

Wish there was an Ikea close to me (nearest is about over 50 miles away), these shelves would have been ideal for my shelf layout, which incidentally does have a 10' run ! The end shape was a "U" though with one side 10'+ the other much shorter.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 10:10:10 AM »
The weight range is listed on the box the shelving comes in.  It varies depending upon the type of wall fastening the user chooses.  Plastic drywall anchors yield a weaker connection.  Screwing directly into wood, or using expanding metal sleeves or toggle bolts brings it up to the higher weight rating.  There is no ugly visible bracket.  The very robust steel bracket is hidden when the shelf is slid over it and secured with screws.  It is a clean install. 

I just installed two of these over the weekend.  I used toggle bolts in the drywall, with the center holes screwed dirctly into a wall stud.  These will easily hold 35lbs+.  I think they are an ideal solution for a shelf layout in a finished space.  We are not talking about putting huge plaster mountains on these!  The original thought is for a switching layout.

Now time to draw up a few plans.   8)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »
I have a Ikea 6 foot high double door cabinet ( I don't remember that they called it anymore ) that I use in my den for trains . It was designed to fall apart . I had to beef up all the joints and put aftermarket hinges , and strengthened the floor . I , for my own reasons and added casters . Had I not strengthened it , it wouldn't have been my thinking that was outside of the box , it would have been my trains . While they have some stuff that is well designed , and I have 8 other items that are well made , not everything Ikea is so . The store floor plan comes to mind . It stinks , as well as all those meaningless names they shove in our face . That shelf is also not well engineered , unless it is used as a shelf that is protected by being within a box . What kind of designed weight is 16-33 pounds . Weasel words is what that is . Like the phrase some throw at us "We only use genuine parts " Useless fodder for idiots to find comfort in . I know enough to know that shelf shouldn't be used for anything you care about , or used if there is a chance of it accidentally being pried up or down . 16 pounds and what to you get , your stuff on the floor , and crease marks on your wall . Then once the bolts bend , try removing the shelf without causing more damage . The shelf is of poor design for most uses .

Hey man, I hear you about Ikea stuff (junque?).  Their stuff is designed for young folks who don't want or can't spend a lot on furniture.  But this shelf is simple and has no moving parts or joints, so it'll work.  I doubt there will be more than 2 pounds of switching layout on it at any time.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 11:05:21 AM »

Hey man, I hear you about Ikea stuff (junque?).  Their stuff is designed for young folks who don't want or can't spend a lot on furniture.  But this shelf is simple and has no moving parts or joints, so it'll work.  I doubt there will be more than 2 pounds of switching layout on it at any time.

Go for it Tom , I was just sharing my thoughts . I hope it works for all who use it .

Richie Dost

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »
For something very light, they are OK. I considered cantilevering my layout, but went with brackets due to the time it would take to cut holes in sheetrock and fasten the shelves securely. My scenery tends to get heavy. I used Closet Maid wire racks in places.

Years ago a did a bunch of shelves for a rich lawyer. This involved making stress-skinned panels about 3 inches thick with extensions out every 16 inches. I then cut fairly large holes in the wall so I could bolt the panels' extensions directly to the studs. Then I had to re-finish the sheetrock. What a lot of work! But I could climb on it without worry.

rschaffter

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 05:27:49 PM »

Well Richie, IKEA is a multi-million dollar company.  I'm sure their product liability insurance riders alone would guarantee that anything they sell gets tested to the hilt.  Forward thinking companies are the ones that succeed.  Disco was here to stay too, remember?  Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

Their founder, Ingvar Kamprad is worth over $50 Billion, so what they are doing must work.  ;)

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »

Their founder, Ingvar Kamprad is worth over $50 Billion, so what they are doing must work.  ;)

Overall yes , everything is perfect no . Even God wasn't perfect , I am proof of that . It almost sounds like you guys are under their spell . Have they offered you a , all you can drink Kool Aid party in the mountains yet . The Enron boss made Loads O Dough , was he perfect ? Just because , ..... oh why bother .

Richie Dost

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »
I have a feeling that Richie already bought a Lack Shelf and is well on his way to a great design. :D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 07:40:32 PM »
Ummm interchangeable shelves with a permanent bracket system.

I could model many different "shiney things" on multiple shelves that way  ;)

nscalesteve

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 07:50:38 PM »

...and he is still driving his old Volvo 245 !    ;) ;)

nscalesteve

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 07:51:41 PM »
What a lot of work! But I could climb on it without worry.

...serious ? and what was the story about the ladder all about ?   ;D ;D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »

...and he is still driving his old Volvo 245 !    ;) ;)

Because it is a GOD among cars.

I always knew those boxes fit in there a little TOO perfectly...