Author Topic: 44 Tonner  (Read 46836 times)

UP_Phill

Re: 44 Tonner
« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
Now I have the mech and sideframes, just waiting on the shell to arrive.

diezmon

« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
I need a shell too :( Too bad I'm broke   :-[  Anyone up for shipping me a shell to make a mold of, hmmmm?   ;D

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
Zombie thread... while I'm late to the game I do have some things to share!

Here it is! The shell is mostly cleaned up. I have to finish the windows and start adding the detail parts.

Here is the heavilly modified frame. The only thing I reused were the trucks, motor, and truck bolsters. The wipers were made from a single SD60 leaf that was bent flat and burnished. This has worked well in the past. I mounted the motor at an angle to account for the offset. This assures a smooth transition through the couplings.

Here she is in testing. The switcher is about an once. A standard A-line weight was added between the sidestill skirts. The hood over the powered truck was weighted with moldable lead (the very last bit I had). I drilled out the moldable lead to fit the fiber-optic headlights. Yep this will have directional headlights AND a cab interior.

She rides a little high, but this will look better after foot boards and couplers are installed. The adition of sideframes and lo-profile wheels should also help. Unless you build the mechinism the with of the hood, and mount the leafsprings on the shell, I do not see how to lower this engine any more.

Performance wise, I was pretty impressed. After the chassis broke in for about 3 minutes she was sailing over switches and down the track. She is heavy enough to push 4 50' boxcars up a 3% grade. Thats good enough for me! I still plan on adding a bit more weight, including some to the unpowered truck to increase electrical contact.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:40:34 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2006, 02:59:59 PM »
that one shot is a compilation of 13 shots?  :o
(it's still out of focus)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:23:43 PM by NandW »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
I skipped a plain or two, the result was the trees being out of focus right in the foreground  :o
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sterhogger

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
Well, thanks to all the info in this thread, i've managed to get my newly acquired 44tonner operating fairly well.  I still have some fine tuning to do on it, along with cleaning up the cab windows, and installing couplers (still working on that one)  Still have to add a bit more weight too.  Not sure what it will be painted as, probably nothing too fancy.  Was originally thinking on having a friend do it up in the Canadian National green/gold scheme, but i don't know.  I intend to use it at my quarry as a private industrial unit (more or less).  ANywho, here's a couple shots taken today.

Ken

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

gregga247

« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
I am new to the list.  I see that the last post was some time ago.  So this is sort of a ping.
I read Daniel Leavitt's article in the March/April of N-Scale.  I thoroughly enjoyed the article and found it enspiring.  I have dreams of building the Simpson Timber Company's Whitcomb 65 Tonner.  I am surprised at how similar the GE 44T and the Whitcomb 65T12e look.
I had not heard of "critter" modelling before I read the article.  Nor had I heard of the Kato critter chassis. 
2 question I have after the article:
1. How long is the 44T?  Becasue the shape is so similar I am thinking having a 44T may be a big help in fabricating a 65T.
2. What is a reasonable price for a Kato critter chassis.
I look forward to hearing back from the group.
Gregg

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:20 AM »
Hi Gregg,
Here's where you can get a Whitcomb 65 tonner kit

http://www.randgust.com/products.htm

;D

randgust

« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »
My website was torpedoed by my ISP for a couple days but its back.

I still have the 65 tonners running, and in fact, I've just expanded the kit to include the Italian cab options.  There's a thriving fleet of them still over there.

The GE 70-tonner kit has had samples run of the photoetching, I'm not signed off yet though and still tweaking.