Author Topic: 44 Tonner  (Read 37983 times)

UP_Phill

Re: 44 Tonner
« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
Now I have the mech and sideframes, just waiting on the shell to arrive.

diezmon

« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
I need a shell too :( Too bad I'm broke   :-[  Anyone up for shipping me a shell to make a mold of, hmmmm?   ;D

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +509
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
Zombie thread... while I'm late to the game I do have some things to share!

Here it is! The shell is mostly cleaned up. I have to finish the windows and start adding the detail parts.

Here is the heavilly modified frame. The only thing I reused were the trucks, motor, and truck bolsters. The wipers were made from a single SD60 leaf that was bent flat and burnished. This has worked well in the past. I mounted the motor at an angle to account for the offset. This assures a smooth transition through the couplings.

Here she is in testing. The switcher is about an once. A standard A-line weight was added between the sidestill skirts. The hood over the powered truck was weighted with moldable lead (the very last bit I had). I drilled out the moldable lead to fit the fiber-optic headlights. Yep this will have directional headlights AND a cab interior.

She rides a little high, but this will look better after foot boards and couplers are installed. The adition of sideframes and lo-profile wheels should also help. Unless you build the mechinism the with of the hood, and mount the leafsprings on the shell, I do not see how to lower this engine any more.

Performance wise, I was pretty impressed. After the chassis broke in for about 3 minutes she was sailing over switches and down the track. She is heavy enough to push 4 50' boxcars up a 3% grade. Thats good enough for me! I still plan on adding a bit more weight, including some to the unpowered truck to increase electrical contact.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:40:34 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2006, 02:59:59 PM »
that one shot is a compilation of 13 shots?  :o
(it's still out of focus)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:23:43 PM by NandW »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +509
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
I skipped a plain or two, the result was the trees being out of focus right in the foreground  :o
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.

sterhogger

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
Well, thanks to all the info in this thread, i've managed to get my newly acquired 44tonner operating fairly well.  I still have some fine tuning to do on it, along with cleaning up the cab windows, and installing couplers (still working on that one)  Still have to add a bit more weight too.  Not sure what it will be painted as, probably nothing too fancy.  Was originally thinking on having a friend do it up in the Canadian National green/gold scheme, but i don't know.  I intend to use it at my quarry as a private industrial unit (more or less).  ANywho, here's a couple shots taken today.

Ken

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

gregga247

« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
I am new to the list.  I see that the last post was some time ago.  So this is sort of a ping.
I read Daniel Leavitt's article in the March/April of N-Scale.  I thoroughly enjoyed the article and found it enspiring.  I have dreams of building the Simpson Timber Company's Whitcomb 65 Tonner.  I am surprised at how similar the GE 44T and the Whitcomb 65T12e look.
I had not heard of "critter" modelling before I read the article.  Nor had I heard of the Kato critter chassis. 
2 question I have after the article:
1. How long is the 44T?  Becasue the shape is so similar I am thinking having a 44T may be a big help in fabricating a 65T.
2. What is a reasonable price for a Kato critter chassis.
I look forward to hearing back from the group.
Gregg

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:20 AM »
Hi Gregg,
Here's where you can get a Whitcomb 65 tonner kit

http://www.randgust.com/products.htm

;D
[

randgust

« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »
My website was torpedoed by my ISP for a couple days but its back.

I still have the 65 tonners running, and in fact, I've just expanded the kit to include the Italian cab options.  There's a thriving fleet of them still over there.

The GE 70-tonner kit has had samples run of the photoetching, I'm not signed off yet though and still tweaking.