Author Topic: To paint and detail or not to paint but detail?  (Read 1495 times)

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
To paint and detail or not to paint but detail?
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
This one's kind of an odd question for the painters, operators, and prototype people; but here goes.

I have an older Frisco and a Chessie SD40-2 that I bought for turning into BN units. This question regards the SLSF unit since the Chessie unit must die (or be re-done). BN ended up aquiring the SLSF in 1980; and I have been debating weather or not to re-detail and re-paint the SLSF unit to be one of the much more common BN units (SLSF only had 8).

Here's the SLSF unit in question:

If the paint job was better; I'd more than likely patch it out as a BN unit. But the rough paint and the fact I don't have any BN SD40-2s (aside from my bicentennial) kind of pushes towards making it a green unit; although I could make it an ex-SLSF unit in green colors.

Keeping in mind that I've never painted and decaled anything; which would I be better off turning it into via detailing, decaling, and painting:
1. ex-SLSF patch
2. ex-SLSF unit
3. normal BN unit (like the Chessie will be)
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: To paint and detail or not to paint but detail?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I'd go with the patch and detail option.  Yes, the Frisco pint is rough - but that makes heavy weathering easier top produce.  Plus, you'll get to a completed and running loco all that much sooner.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B