Author Topic: Rocket Surgery on the PRB brass ATSF 3400 Pacific  (Read 2593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbunge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 339
  • Respect: +538
Re: Rocket Surgery on the PRB brass ATSF 3400 Pacific
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2026, 12:22:06 PM »
+2
Following your experience with the speaker.  Everything I've read says you don't need holes in whatever is holding the speaker.  This has certainly worked for me with plastic tenders with one or more speakers with enclosures.  I'm currently looking at a brass Pacific that will get the sound treatment.  I've been planning to follow the same procedure I've used with plastic tenders with it (no holes anywhere in the tender).

Bob

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2970
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Rocket Surgery on the PRB brass ATSF 3400 Pacific
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2026, 09:19:39 PM »
+5
OK, the painting was a success.    Grimy black, redo the lettering, paint everything and then Neolub anything that moves.

Reassemble everything, and on DC, everything still runs just fine.  REALLY well.  So short of wiring in the decoder with sound (which you won't see) this is about it.

I just can't get over how much difference the repaint made.   This is truly a beautiful brass locomotive when you can see all that detail.



Years and years and years ago, there was a feature in Model Railroader about 'The Santa Fe Roster of Bob Kjellander' (sp?) and it was all the HO brass locomotives he'd done, mostly PFM.  That was just so stunning.   This many years later I can say that article was my inspiration.

ATSF_Ron

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 474
  • Respect: +291
Re: Rocket Surgery on the PRB brass ATSF 3400 Pacific
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 07:46:20 PM »
0
Wow!  Such a difference in appearance after that paint.  Great work, man!

ATSF_Ron