Author Topic: Question re Bachmann Consolidation  (Read 216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Question re Bachmann Consolidation
« on: September 26, 2026, 11:33:36 PM »
0
Wondering if someone can help me with a question concerning the Bachmann Spectrum Consolidation in N scale.  Mine may not be the latest version as I bought it years ago.

On top of the chassis there is an orange and a tan wire coming up from the motor and along to a small box.  Then there is a blue and white wire coming out of the box and running forward to a board for the front headlight:



I am curious as to what this box is or what it does as I need to remove it.  I am fitting a new shell and the domes are in a different location so it wont fit.

Wondering if this is just a junction box - can I solder one pair of wires to the other?


Any help appreciated,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2338
  • Respect: +1838
Re: Question re Bachmann Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2026, 07:21:19 AM »
0
I think you will find that the wires are already soldered. The small black box is just a cover. Under it are two tabs on the chassis, the motor and headlight leads are soldered to them here. The bigger black plastic piece is also removable. The ideas is that this is where you would put a decoder.
You should be able to remove the little box and leave the wiring exposed if you just need more clearance.

Jimbo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 206
  • Respect: +96
Re: Question re Bachmann Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2026, 01:13:34 PM »
0
This is the very first generation of this model, and this wiring point is intended to simplify the installation of a decoder, which would go where the weight currently is (the one you’ve removed in the photo.)

Take a look at the report on this first generation 2-8-0 on @spookshow ’s website here:

https://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec280.html

Hope this helps.

Jim