Author Topic: Bachmann 0-6-0  (Read 1700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Bachmann 0-6-0
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2026, 02:01:52 AM »
0
Does the worm go directly to the rear axle gear, or is there an idler in there?  And are the other drivers geared, or are they all pushed around by the rods now?

There is a white plastic (nylon?) idler in there. There is only the one axle gear.

-Mark

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2338
  • Respect: +1838
Re: Bachmann 0-6-0
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2026, 05:37:54 AM »
+1
Seems like there's enough room to at least shorten the cab end now - that was always too long, presumably to cover the old motor location.

The model has always looked ungainly, but I think that's prototypical. The USRA 0-6-0s had the cab very far back. The firebox is fully behind the rear drivers and the cab is beyond that.


bbunge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 339
  • Respect: +538
Re: Bachmann 0-6-0
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2026, 03:38:48 AM »
0
The USRA 0-6-0 could have a kit installed to make a 2-6-2 although I think this wasn’t done very often.  The addition of the kit would in theory make them more stable at higher speeds and reduce wear on the drivers. 

Bob

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Bachmann 0-6-0
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2026, 09:45:38 AM »
0
I like that they continue to offer this as an entry level model.  Sure, the shell is clunky, but it has been tidied up, which helps.  Obviously the most important feature to Bachmann is the price tag, which remains inviting.

With the improved drive, it should provide good fodder for the 3D printers among us to address the shortcomings of the boiler shell.

I have an example of the earliest version with brass gears and a burned out motor.  It was basically a ripoff of the Trix 060 drive, with the gears on the back of the drivers, only on the opposite side of the Trix design.  It turned out I could replace the old open frame job with a motor from the new generation 2-8-0 with hardly any modification.  It's a reasonably good runner now, having a hardwired 8x8 tender installed.



Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12265
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11720
Re: Bachmann 0-6-0
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2026, 09:57:32 AM »
0
I would love a scenario where the updated Bachmann chassis can be mated with the Minitrix PRR B6, but I guess the chassis and motor are still too long....?