Author Topic: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin  (Read 708 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 198
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +462
ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« on: August 13, 2026, 05:00:39 PM »
+34
Happily the ATSF N scale Models website and shop will be continued by a new owner, Simon Deakin, living in London, UK. Many of you probably know my health has declined a lot recently. Sounds harsh maybe but its end of the line for me next week. I have had a good life, a lovely family, lots of friends and enjoy even these last days. Simon is taking over the website, all STL files and etchings, so my models will remain available, maybe in another format. Keep a lookout on the website - the coming month - to see how things will develop.
It has been a pleasure and thanks for all your support over the years. Regards, Dirk Jan Blikkendaal www.atsfnscalemodels.com
« Last Edit: August 13, 2026, 05:05:28 PM by Dirk Jan Blikkendaal »
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Simon D.

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +78
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2026, 08:50:08 AM »
+15
I'm really pleased to say that I have bought the assets of ATSF N Scale Models and the intention is to make Dirk's amazing work available in some way for the future.  Too many of these brilliant small businesses go by the wayside.


As Dirk says, I'm in the UK and he is in the Netherlands, so there will be a few logistical hurdles until I receive his designs and remaining stock.  I will then be working with my son-in-law who has a small 3D print and design business - https://www.mdndesigns.com.


Time will be needed to inventory the assets - electronic and his remaining prints and etches etc.  The intention is then to make the 3D designs available as downloads under Creative Commons licenses for personal use only, either directly through my SiL's website or on a site like Cults3D. I know this could potentially cause copying issues, but the market is so niche that I'm sure it wont be too much of a problem. There is at least one designer in the UK who put his stuff on Cults after Shapeways went, and this has worked fairly well.  The effort and cost to print and then ship with the current tariff issues almost certainly precludes making up the models as Dirk did, especially items like his signals.  However we can supply all the materials needed for modellers to assemble themselves reasonably easily.


The etches will need to be produced here and then shipped, but this is make easier as Dirk had them make by PPD in Scotland which is much easier for us.  I think the etches will be cheaper to ship as they are essentially smaller and lightweight.


There will inevitably be some trial and error, but we will put in the work needed.  Any (reasonable!) comments/suggestions gratefully received.  I will keep TRW etc updated.


A word about Dirk.  I knew him already, as a long term customer, to be a man of integrity and achievement, but in the last couple of weeks I've been able to talk to him a little and appreciate that his is (as I have told him) a man of substance, bravery and humour.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11879
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2026, 09:08:35 AM »
0
Simon, respect for doing this.

Mark


garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2340
  • Respect: +1846
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2026, 09:15:37 AM »
0
One advantage of this becoming a UK based enterprise is that Royal Mail charges considerably less than anyone else for handling the US customs fees.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11615
    • Conrail 1285
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2026, 10:08:41 AM »
+2
Oh man, I am so glad this has a happy ending.

Dirk, thank you for all you've done for our fellow hobbyists.

Simon D.

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +78
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2026, 07:28:45 AM »
+7
Just a very quick update. I've now got access to Dirk's website and added the message below:

September 29, 2026.  In memory of Dirk Jan Blikkendaal[/size][/b][/font]
[/b][/font]
I have now received the assets of ATSF Scale Models, purchased from Dirk before his passing in August 2026. Please note I have not bought the business but the assets including the intellectual property.

The intention is to make 3D designs available for download to be printed by the user at a reasonable price under a Creative Commons license (no commercial use); and provide the etches to complete kits where necessary separately. The latter will be more complicated as I am based in the UK and recent tariff changes make export possibly very expensive, particularly to the USA.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to make up kits, eg. tender trucks as Dirk did, but construction is usually fairly straightforward. Initially I will concentrate on N Scale.

Sorting it all out will take some time.

It is likely that content, downloads and orders will be migrated to another site in the UK, and this site will disappear in June next year when it is due for renewal.

Please check this site, the Railwire forum and Trainboard for updates.[/size][/font]

I will also periodically check the site emails at info@atsfnscalemodels.com[/size][/font]


I did not know Dirk very well - just a long time customer – but I hope to continue at least some of his amazing legacy.
[/b][/font]
[/b][/font]
Simon Deakin

It's all going to take a while as there are not many instructions and and Dirk packed everything up quite quickly a very few days before his passing.  Lot of work to do!  My main issue is how to manage the etches.  I have a few in stock, but I suspect quite a few will need re-ordering from PPD; and then is is the tariff problem for what are very small and fairly inexpensive items.  Any suggestions (perhaps a bulk order to the US) gratefully received.

Dreyfusshudson

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 73
  • Respect: +12
Re: ATSF N Scale Models to be continued by Simon Deakin
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2026, 07:39:20 AM »
+1
In memory of Mr. Dirk Jan Blikkendaal.
I've made his blue goose with Kato's C62. He gave my old locomotive to new face.