Author Topic: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures  (Read 534 times)

Angus Shops and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cfritschle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1356
  • Respect: +362
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« on: October 02, 2026, 12:43:48 PM »
0
Showcase Miniatures has released a new kit for the classic Checker taxi!  Here is a link to the model:  https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/n_scale/n_scale_vehicles/181.html
 
The quad headlight version in which the model is based was introduced in 1960, at the same time a consumer version of the Checker taxi was first offered to the public.  There appears to be some confusion as to whether the model years for these cars should considered 1960 or 1961.  Production of the last Checker taxi and its consumer counter part ended in 1982, but many of the taxis remained in service for nearly another two decades.  As for the model, it has a 3D printed body, chassis and wheels (no pewter parts) along with a vacuum form windshield and rear window. 
 
Thank you Walter and the Showcase team!
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2026, 12:52:14 PM »
0
Iconic model for anyone modeling a larger city. from 1960 up through the 80s (possibly longer).


thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2026, 01:40:10 PM »
0
I have one of the GHQ pewter versions of the taxi... unfortunately, for me, what I really need are the earlier 1950s versions- A4, A6 and A8 (the latter very similar to the GHQ and Showcase models, but single headlight per side). 

As a matter of curiosity, when I was double checking my memory on versions... I ran across the wiki article, which notes that the A9 (the 1958 version) introduced "dual headlights" per side... and that the A11 (the 1960/61 version) introduced "quad headlights".  What is the distinction between dual headlights per side and quad headlights?
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2026, 03:13:00 PM »
0
As a matter of curiosity, when I was double checking my memory on versions... I ran across the wiki article, which notes that the A9 (the 1958 version) introduced "dual headlights" per side... and that the A11 (the 1960/61 version) introduced "quad headlights".  What is the distinction between dual headlights per side and quad headlights?

I was gonna say "synonyms" and lousy editing (commonplace in wikipedia), but looking at the wiki, I see no reference to dual headlights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Taxi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Marathon





thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2026, 03:59:09 PM »
0
I was gonna say "synonyms" and lousy editing (commonplace in wikipedia), but looking at the wiki, I see no reference to dual headlights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Taxi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Marathon

I should have been more specific on WHICH wiki- I was looking at

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Motors_Corporation  (scroll down about half way to find descriptions of the various models)
Quote
Model A9 (1958)

For 1958, a restyle of the A8 was introduced, the A9. It featured dual headlights, ....


Model A11 (1961)

1981 A11 "8P96" at The Henry Ford

The A11 (sold to the public as the A12) was introduced in 1961 and incorporated quad headlamps.....
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

cfritschle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1356
  • Respect: +362
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2026, 05:36:04 PM »
+1
Mark and Tom,

My first go to source for information about prototype cars is the Standard Catalog of American cars.  I have three volumes: 1805-1942, 1946-1975, 1976-1999.  Then I look at Wiki to see what additional information they have. 

The Checker section in the 1946-1979 catalog starts with the 1960 model year for Checker. There is nothing in the catalog for the years Checker only produced taxis. The catalog states: "The Checker passenger cars, which were first offered to the public in late in 1959 were based on the Model A8 taxi, which first appeared as early as 1956. With only a few exterior changes, the four door sedan remained essentially unchanged from 1960 to 1982. Checker was required to comply with the "five mile per hour bumper law" in 1974.  This would make the Showcase model most suitable for the 1974-82 model years.

I did read the Wiki article before posting, and I went with the information in the Standard Catalog rather than the information in Wiki.   :?
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

GimpLizard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 550
  • Respect: +63
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2026, 12:21:19 PM »
+2
This model is a post-1973 Checker, with the large "beam" type bumper.  Below is a pre-1973 A11.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And this is a post-1973 A11.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

cfritschle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1356
  • Respect: +362
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2026, 12:50:16 PM »
0
Thank you for the photos!  Since Checker was given an extra year to convert to the 5 mph bumpers, your first photo would cover the 1960-73 model years, and your second photo would cover the 1974-82 models years.

The GHQ version appears to be representing the 1960-73 model years with the "dip" in the center of the front bumper.  https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-160-10mm-n-scale/products/checker-cab

Again, great to have those photos!  :D
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2026, 12:59:54 PM »
0
Thanks Tom, Carter, and Gimp!  8)


GimpLizard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 550
  • Respect: +63
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2026, 12:33:13 AM »
0
Thank you for the photos!  Since Checker was given an extra year to convert to the 5 mph bumpers, your first photo would cover the 1960-73 model years, and your second photo would cover the 1974-82 models years.

The GHQ version appears to be representing the 1960-73 model years with the "dip" in the center of the front bumper.  https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-160-10mm-n-scale/products/checker-cab

Again, great to have those photos!  :D

You're welcome. Personally I prefer the Showcase model, due to its "open" windows. GHQ says that theirs is a 1-piece casting. So not much chance of kitbashing their bumper onto the Showcase model, is there?

Anf by the way, I always thought the "energy absorbing" bumper wasn't required until 1974. I recall that '74 was the first year the Chevy Camaro had them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2026, 12:40:14 AM by GimpLizard »

cfritschle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1356
  • Respect: +362
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2026, 06:46:41 PM »
0
And by the way, I always thought the "energy absorbing" bumper wasn't required until 1974. I recall that '74 was the first year the Chevy Camaro had them.

I decided I had better do a fact check on the info in the reference book I used; The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975.  So, I asked Google; "When did the 5-mph bumper law go into effect?"

Here what Google AI generated:

The 5-mph federal bumper standard (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 215) went into effect on September 1, 1972, for the 1973 model year.

Key Timeline Details

September 1, 1972: The original rule took effect, requiring passenger cars to withstand a 5-mph front-end barrier impact and a 2.5-mph rear-end barrier impact without damaging safety-related parts like headlights, fuel systems, and latches.

1974 Model Year: The standard was expanded to require rear bumpers to also withstand a full 5-mph impact, which led to heavier, more prominent bumper designs across the auto industry.

1983 Model Year: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) rolled the standard back from 5-mph to 2.5 mph (front and rear), which remains the federal requirement today.

This information is consistent with the "catalog" which stated Checker did not have to comply with the rule until the 1974 model year because of the small number of cars they manufactured annually. In the early to mid 1970s, Checker built less than 6,000 cars per year, with less than 1,000 of the cars built being sold as non-taxis.

Edit: Corrected hyphen in place of period, and added a missing hyphen.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:39:46 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19619
  • Respect: +6938
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2026, 07:20:13 PM »
0
Volkswagen changed their bumpers in 1968.

Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1271
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +739
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:43:00 PM »
0
I shared an apartment during the Fall 1972- Spring 1973 (graduation) school year with a rich roomate.  His father bought hime a brand new red Ford Torino which is the first car I had ever seen with the big front porch bumper.  I thought that bumper was the ugliest thing I had ever seen.

I bought a brand new 1975 Monte Carlo which by then had the front fascia covering up the ugly distance.  I recall a budget busting $48 a month car payment.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: Today at 03:58:41 PM »
0
Volkswagen changed their bumpers in 1968.

That was a styling decision. ;)

The Beetle got 5mph bumpers in 1974.


Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19619
  • Respect: +6938
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: Today at 04:06:01 PM »
0
Oh I thought it was a law of some sort. The whole mounting of the bumper changed. I have custom brackets on my car to be able to bolt up older bumpers.

Also pre 1968 the seats didn't have a headrest. (again I though it was a law) I did older style seat covers and cut the headrest off the metal frame.

And cars after 1968 had these metal clips behind the rubber windshield gasket to keep it from popping out in a crash. I was told Lee Iacocca was the reason...