Author Topic: Atlas part #  (Read 931 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RockGp40

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1067
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +343
Atlas part #
« on: November 21, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »
0
I need to replace a coupler on a N scale GP38-2. All I can find on Atlas's parts page is for a rapido coupler, which is not what I want. Any ideas what it is or what other options there are?
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5865
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4863
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 02:25:23 PM »
0
MicroTrains 1015 is what I use, I think  :?

jjb62556

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 326
  • Gender: Male
  • cn1040gmd1@gmail.com
  • Respect: +56
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 02:46:34 PM »
0
#1015 will work....

ristooch

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 45
  • Respect: +19
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 03:50:18 PM »
0
I'm going to give you a sketchy reply based on absolutely no research, but if you are looking for the stock Accumate style coupler for an exact replacement, I would not be surprised that all the Accumate style couplers are the same for all their locomotives. The 1015 MicroTrains is a worthy replacement however - I've done that same swap on all my Altas diesels.
Model on,
Paul Ristuccia

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11870
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 03:58:34 PM »
0
The part number for the factory Atlas Accumate coupler is 23015.

They go in and out of availability.

Mark


peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35290
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6650
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »
0
Looking at the parts  diagram for that loco ( http://download.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/NParts/NGP38-2Loco.pdf ), it is designed like Kato locos which had a full pilot and a Rapido coupler with a spring held by a plastic retainer.  There is no Accumate coupler that drops in. These were designed for retrofitting using MTL couplers mentioned earlier, although some enlarging of the pilot coupler opening might be required for the MTL coupler box to slide in.  The coupler box is then held in using the same plastic retainer used with Rapido coupler.

IIRC there might also be some coupler height issue requiring swapping the offset head coupler into the 1015 coupler box.

PS. Too bad that the original subject line of this thread is so vague. Or is that "nebulous"? :|
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26099
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11585
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 09:25:56 PM »
0
Yeah, just go for the 1015-1 replacement. Easy peasy and generally accepted to be an upgrade (even though I have no beef with Accumates).

RockGp40

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1067
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +343
Re: Atlas part #
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »
0
Thanks guys. Because of this thread, a source was found here without me having to go through Atlas.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.