Author Topic: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat  (Read 3635 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
0
Also, looking at a few pictures showing the deck from above, both the F60CH and F60KH cars had an even odder deck board arrangement than I expected.  Like the IM model, they have length-wise boards over the center sill, with short cross-wise boards on either side.  But those don't go to the outside of the stake pockets as I always thought.  They stop at the side sills, and then, between the stake pockets, there are short length-wise boards, where the IM flat has metal channels.  Weird.

I'll have a read of the TTX Book when I get a chance, but I think you're seeing some of the commonality of the same "core" flat car being used across the different applications (reporting marks). At first glance, that F60KH PTTX car sure looks like someone just took a standard MTTX / HTTX / OTTX flat and put bulkheads on to suit the loading width. This approach was common for Trailer Train.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 12:40:43 AM »
0
I'm sure that's what they did.  In clear pictures you can see where the bulkheads are bolted to the sides of the side sills, like they were added after the cars were built.  Since many of these cars were converted to container, or general-purpose, flats in the 80s, they probably just unbolted and scrapped the bulkheads.

Incidentally, digging through my (not complete) BN rosters, it looks like all of their bought-new BH flats were 56'8" IL, with the only longer ones I can find coming from the Frisco in that merger.  TTX never bought a single one.  Most of the pictures I can find of the TTPX cars show them carrying "industrial " loads, steel sheet, shapes, pipe, or other manufactured goods. 

Most of the BN cars were bought, originally, for the lumber industry, which liked to load in 8-foot increments, regardless of the actual board length.  Once that business moved to centerbeam cars, many of the BN cars got log bunks.  Another common load for the BN cars was aluminum ingots, which weighed enough that the longer cars would have been wasted.
N Kalanaga
Be well

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
0
A bit late to the party, and most of the relevant info has been covered, but just to add notes on the two cars pictured on page 1:

TTPX 806140 is a 62' IL car built in 2004 by Greenbrier/Trenton Works. This is the ExactRail car that they did in HO and N. Atlas also did the same car in their Trainman line in HO and O.

TTPX 82347 is a 62' IL car built in 1980 by Bethlehem Steel. The narrow bulkhead bracing is a distinctive feature. This is the ScaleTrains car produced in HO scale.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 04:13:28 PM »
0
Crhis,

I believe the ScaleTrains car is the F68AH which was last produced in 1974 - is that 1980 car similar?

Well over 1,100 F68AH bulkhead flats were built before production of the design ceased in August 1974.

https://www.scaletrains.com/product/rivet-counter-ho-scale-bsc-f68ah-bulkhead-flatcar-trailer-train-oxide-red-2/

Mark


James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 07:28:13 AM »
0
Just because the photo reminded me of this thread, a PS car popped up online the other day too:

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=113935

Side sill between the bulkheads looks a little different than usual.

@Mark5 @nkalanaga
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 02:15:00 AM »
0
Thank you.  Nice to see one is still in service, but I'm not going to register and log in to see the picture!
N Kalanaga
Be well

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6761
  • Respect: +2638
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
0

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:39 AM »
0
"Invalid Request
Status Code: 403 Forbidden
You were directed to this page because of an invalid link or invalid request. If You Followed a Link:"
N Kalanaga
Be well

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6761
  • Respect: +2638
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »
0
Sorry.  I see the same error now when I clear my cache.  Direct links used to work on that site, but I guess Zack recently changed the site settings.  Oh well.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
0
I'll take a look when I get a chance - been working too much in recent months! :facepalm:


nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 03:12:11 AM »
0
Gary:  Thank you!  At least it wasn't my system, or my mistake. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11869
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
0
Just because the photo reminded me of this thread, a PS car popped up online the other day too:

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=113935

Side sill between the bulkheads looks a little different than usual.

@Mark5 @nkalanaga

Finally looked at it.  :D These (PTTX) are a different class (F60KH) than the Scale Trains model - the sill is definitely different than on the TTPX F68AH  (BSC built) done by ST.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:04:54 PM by Mark5 »


Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »
0
FWIW Railcarphotos and Locophotos are great resources well worth registering for...

I have never received any messages from them and have not noticed any spam that would lead back to them...

Perhaps set up a "burner" email account to register if you are concerned?

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: TTX prototypes for N scale MT bulkhead flat
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 03:39:12 PM »
0
Ryan:  Not so much "concerned" as simply "don't want to register".  It's so seldom that I went there, before they locked things down, that it doesn't seem worth the trouble.  I have three other photo sites, no registration needed, and since most pictures I'm looking for are from the 70s or earlier, those seem to be enough. 

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/ seems to have the best selection of old pictures, but the others have a lot I can use.

Mark5:  They're not identical, but the F60 bulkhead cars, and the flat they're built on, are very similar to the IM 60' flatcar.  Quality Craft made a wood kit for the bulkhead version, in O and HO, back in the 60s, and I've been building N scale models since the 70s, based on that kit.  Finally, with online photos and the IM flatcar, I have a reasonably close model.
N Kalanaga
Be well