Author Topic: Looking for FEC boxcar references  (Read 1961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26099
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11584
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Looking for FEC boxcar references
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
0
THANK YOU GUYS!!!!

So now what to do about all this. Hmm.

The answer? Some liberties shall be taken.

The white door is awfully tempting to do on the 5029.

I need an 8' Superior replacement, right? I figure it's easier to find an undec replacement than trying to paint the existing door white.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: Looking for FEC boxcar references
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
0
The answer? Some liberties shall be taken.

That's definitely going to be the name of the game. The Prototype FGE cars were pretty rare so unlikely to ever be seen in N scale.

8' Superior is what you are looking for, MT makes a drop in replacement.
https://www.micro-trains.com/8-superior-doors-for-50-cars-12-ea-1093-49920916

I would renumber it to something in the 5001-5015 series.

and maybe experiment with a fade coat/filter to see if you can pastel up that navy blue a little bit, add COTS and ACI labels, put it in gypsum board service and call it good to go!


The Red car is still perplexing, that shot of 5026 (In Blue/Yellow as Mark suggested) is the only shot of that series I've found.
I did read a couple references that mentioned a solid red scheme used on 5016-5030 at some point so we rest with probably possibly maybe  :? :? :?  :D

For a road with basically no boxcars, FEC sure didn't make it easy!  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:22:22 PM by Missaberoad »