Author Topic: Any advice on keeping pilot wheels on the track?  (Read 1031 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

voldemort

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • Respect: -46
Any advice on keeping pilot wheels on the track?
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »
-1
I've had some really good luck with my trackwork lately- thank you everyone

I have been challenging it by driving some of my bigger steam locomotives on it.  The pilot wheels seem to derail often at turnouts (Kato's- mix of 4's and 6's).  I just don't think there is enough force keeping them on the track.  Some of a shaft through a spring, others have an 'arm' that leads forwards that the pilot wheels attach to the frame.  I've thought of a stronger spring, at least on the straight shaft through the spring.   It is so tiny though I'm not sure where to look for one.  The arm ones are extra tricky.  I've thought of trying to add some tiny lead weights, but I'm not sure they'd weigh enough to help.

What do others suggest?

Thanks

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Any advice on keeping pilot wheels on the track?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
0
OK, first obvious questions.

Which locomotives - as we're an anal group and we know most of the quirks on a first-name basis.  If you're having trouble identifying the exact manufacturer and run, see spookshow.net, he has them all.

Second - if you have Kato #4's, have you done the 'fix' to the points (filing a notch in the stock rail?).   Everything piles up on those, not just pilot wheels.


voldemort

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • Respect: -46
Re: Any advice on keeping pilot wheels on the track?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
-1
I'm betting its the notches.  I put in two new turnouts, and haven't filed them down.  I swear my brain must be running on some kind of toxic fumes from COVID isolation.  The silly things that I'm failing to think of these days.

Thank you for that.

The two biggest of my locomotives, both of which were doing that are a KATO GS-4 (Daylight!) and a Broadway Imports T1 Duplex 4-4-4-4.  Even my Bachmann 4-6-0 likes to send its pilots in different directions than the driver. 

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Any advice on keeping pilot wheels on the track?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »
+1
Before even filing the notches in the turnout, check the gauge on the pilot wheelsets with an NMRA plate.  If they are a little narrow or a little wide, they will climb the point edges.   Too wide: the wheels can't physically fit between the rails right at the approach into the points (especially if you haven't filed the notches) because it's a hair narrower there.  Too narrow: The wheel that is suppose to go between the outer main rail and the open point rail can hit the edge of the hanging point rail and climb it.

And of course, narrow or wide wheels will climb the frog.

I would check the gauge before you start filing notches, especially if lots of other engines are not having this problem.