Author Topic: Width of MILW passenger ribs.  (Read 883 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« on: May 13, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
0
I'm making up a couple sets of art work to get etched and I'm going to add a set of ribs for the FVM Milwaukee Road coach.  Does anyone know the width of the ribs?  Bonus, what is the spacing of the three ribs?

Thanks,

Jason

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2157
    • Modutrak
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
0
I think you're looking for someone with a copy of Hiawatha: First of the Speedliners.  I don't have a copy.

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +908
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
0
The ribs added to the original Hiawatha (FVM) coaches measure out to 3 inches as best as I can tell from the book Mike mentioned. There is 9 inches between the ribs. I'll take a set of your etchings if you care to do an extra set !
Bill Denton

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
0
Thanks guys,

I'll draw it up and print it out on paper and see how it looks. Extra etching are certainly no problem if I don't etch them together pre-spaced.  If I do them as a set, I'll have to see how I can use the space without wasting it.

I'm planning to do these in .2 mm brass. I've got 8 projects I'm trying to fit on the sheet.

I suppose I could take a shot with the cutter and some styrene as well.

Jason


Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2157
    • Modutrak
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
0
While I'd also love to see a full side etching where I didn't have to glue any ribs, I'm surprisingly happier having a car with three strips of styrene on it than having no car at all.  I don't know why I put it off so long, other than perfection getting in the way of progress.


sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
0
The ribs added to the original Hiawatha (FVM) coaches measure out to 3 inches as best as I can tell from the book Mike mentioned. There is 9 inches between the ribs. I'll take a set of your etchings if you care to do an extra set !

Ditto on a couple extra etchings.

Randy

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:45 PM »
0
While I'd also love to see a full side etching where I didn't have to glue any ribs, I'm surprisingly happier having a car with three strips of styrene on it than having no car at all.  I don't know why I put it off so long, other than perfection getting in the way of progress.

I hadn't really thought about doing a full etching.  The plan was to just etch the rib either as single strips or three already spaced together that could be glued at one time.  I've not done any full car sides and I worry about adding thickness to the car side and also the window fittings.  One sure advantage would be that I could add the narrow extension along the bottom of the side.

The overall plan was to etch the ribs and because I've never seen a picture of one of the CGW cars with the doors closed (in service), I was going to etch four vestibule doors w/platforms to put in the up position and two end interior doors.  I could do the end gate as well but if this is going to be out of .2mm brass, I don't think I could do as good as the ones you can get from Rapido.

Maybe I can draw this up this weekend.

Jason

sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 06:33:17 PM »
0
Gluing them on as a group would work best. I have three FVM coaches I bought for a project like this.

Randy

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Width of MILW passenger ribs.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
0
Gluing them on as a group would work best. I have three FVM coaches I bought for a project like this.

Randy

I agree but that's a bit of wasted space on the sheet.  I may be able to get creative with arranging some other pieces.  At worst I should be able to include a jig that would position all three.

Jason