Author Topic: PROCOR Tank Car Question  (Read 1649 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BCR751

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 862
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +166
PROCOR Tank Car Question
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »
0
Anyone know what product is carried in the PROCOR 50' green tank cars with a red dome?  I've seen entire unit trains on the CP pulling these cars.

Doug

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
0
Anyone know what product is carried in the PROCOR 50' green tank cars with a red dome?  I've seen entire unit trains on the CP pulling these cars.

Doug

The green Procors come out of Scotford, AB and are leased to Shell AFAIK... Do you have a number series? I can check at work tonignt and let you know what I find...

BCR751

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 862
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +166
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
0
The green Procors come out of Scotford, AB and are leased to Shell AFAIK... Do you have a number series? I can check at work tonignt and let you know what I find...

If you go to this link on Youtube 
and fast forward to 1:48:08 you can see some.  Not sure of the numbers it (looks like 75159 on the first car).  The ones I've seen were too far away to get any numbers.

Doug

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
0
Okay, I'll print off some paperwork for the train that has the green Procors and let you know what I find...
That being said they don't run in the big cuts on the head end like they did when they first came out. It's possible the commodities have changed, but I will see what I can find...

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
+1
So a little more research has dug up a few things.

The number series is PROX 75100-75399 built. 1999/2000.

There's a train orders post from 2003 that brings up a few hints...

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,468941

It mentions, Shell Scotford and Blackfalds AB (location of the former union carbide glycol transload)

It also mentions un3082 placards, which is a catch all for "environmentally hazardous substance, liquid, not otherwise specified".

The large cuts at the head end of trains makes sense for glycol. We still ship it to the coast this way on train 201 (however we use different tank cars these days (smaller cars with PROX and AOUX reporting marks)

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=aoux5050&o=aoux

If shipped within Canada glycol has no placards, so that would be my best educated guess for the original use.

I'll still see what I can find for their current use, and find out what they are hauling out of Scotford.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
0
Shell started production of Monoethylene glycol at Scotford in 2000 which coincides with the purchase of this series of cars. It also fits with the 3082 un placards.

BCR751

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 862
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +166
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
0
Thanks for all of that info, Ryan.  That's more that I ever expected.  I've only seen those cars in southern BC so I guess they were made just for a couple of specific products coming out of Alberta.  Thanks again for all of your efforts to find this info.

Doug

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
0
Thanks for all of that info, Ryan.  That's more that I ever expected.  I've only seen those cars in southern BC so I guess they were made just for a couple of specific products coming out of Alberta.  Thanks again for all of your efforts to find this info.

Doug

I see the green tanks running through southern Ontario as well.

RockGp40

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1067
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +343
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
0
I've gotten these cars on my railroad, and if memory serves, it carried either diethylene glycol or dipropylene glycol.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
0
I've gotten these cars on my railroad, and if memory serves, it carried either diethylene glycol or dipropylene glycol.

Checked the trains that usually have these cars last night and just my luck I couldn't find a single one... But ethelyne glycol (diethelene and monethelyne) makes the most sense...

I'll keep checking to confirm...

Lenny53

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2297
  • Respect: +2062
Re: PROCOR Tank Car Question
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
0
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]