Author Topic: Westbound PCC  (Read 824 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

R L Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +864
Westbound PCC
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »
+2
The next refurbished PCC streetcar is on its way to San Francisco. If anyone spots it along the way, please post here.  Expected (but unconfirmed) route is I-70 through St. Louis and then up to I-80 the rest of the way to SFMTA.  This car is painted as Pittsburgh.

An eastbound car should be headed our way next week.

Ron





Ron
ELRRHS member. NMRA Mid-Central Region Division 11 Assistant Superintendent.

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

brokemoto

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Respect: +296
Re: Westbound PCC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
0
PCCs used link and pin coupling.  I never knew that.  It is surprising, since I have ridden them in SF, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.  You would think that I would have noticed.  In my experience, at least, Boston ran them in MU more than did the other cities.

Point353

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3734
  • Respect: +919
Re: Westbound PCC
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
0
PCCs used link and pin coupling.  I never knew that.  It is surprising, since I have ridden them in SF, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.  You would think that I would have noticed.  In my experience, at least, Boston ran them in MU more than did the other cities.
Certain Boston PCC cars are equipped with a more advanced type of coupler:
http://trn.trains.com/~/media/images/railroad-news/news-wire/2016-and-prior/2016/01/mattapan.jpg

R L Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +864
Re: Westbound PCC
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
0
PCCs used link and pin coupling.  I never knew that.  It is surprising, since I have ridden them in SF, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.  You would think that I would have noticed.  In my experience, at least, Boston ran them in MU more than did the other cities.

The link-and-pin assembly you see is there to hold the tow bar in place when the vehicle is being pushed or pulled for servicing (or if there was a failure out on the road.) The tow bar is kept in a long tube under the car body. Normally the pin is stowed as well (we had just pushed the car up to the trailer) so you would not have noticed the device when riding in SF or Toronto (or most other places).

Some PCC's were equipped with couplers for MU operation; notably the "Red Arrow" cars in suburban Philadelphia service, as well as Boston cars and Cleveland's Shaker Heights cars.  I'm sure there were others too.

RLS

ELRRHS member. NMRA Mid-Central Region Division 11 Assistant Superintendent.

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...