Author Topic: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint  (Read 1474 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:55:36 PM »
0
I want to convert a Kato N-scale CZ diner to Phase I Amtrak.   Every photo I can find of these cars in Phase I paint  shows them with full skirts.
Every photo I can find in Phase III or later (now converted to HEP) shows no skirts.    I'm trying to figure out when the skirts were removed.  Did they keep their skirts until they were converted to HEP?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 02:04:53 AM »
0
I don't know, but if every Phase I photo shows skirts, and you want a Phase I, I would think the skirts could stay?
N Kalanaga
Be well

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
0
Good question - because those photos all show the same three cars  - 8052, 8054, 8055 - in 1974.  I want to go later 1970s, with an SDP40F in Phase II paint.   Since most other cars lost their skirts by then, I don't trust just these photos.  Also, I think the car is more interesting sans skirts, and I'd like to know if they ran that way in Phase I paint.

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
0
I'm going to agree with nkalanga: you have photo evidence of a car you want to model in Phase I with skirts, and you prefer that look anyway - so why not model it that was (even if only 3 cars had that configuration)?  :|
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
0
I'm going to agree with nkalanga: you have photo evidence of a car you want to model in Phase I with skirts, and you prefer that look anyway - so why not model it that was (even if only 3 cars had that configuration)?  :|

Um... 'cause that's too easy a solution and I like to complicate things unnecessarily?  :D
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »
0
How about you cut the skirts only on one side? That way you can have it both ways, and you'll have a unique car to boot.     :P

Personally, I would prefer mini-skirts on a car with really shapely trucks.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Respect: +921
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
0
Good question - because those photos all show the same three cars  - 8052, 8054, 8055 - in 1974.  I want to go later 1970s, with an SDP40F in Phase II paint.   Since most other cars lost their skirts by then, I don't trust just these photos.
Photos of Amtrak 8052 supposedly taken in 1979:

http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtDINER/amt8052a.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtDINER/amt8052b.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtDINER/amt8052c.jpg

http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtDINER8000.html

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
0
Alright, full skirts it is.  On further contemplation, it will make a nice contrast with the rest of the (skirtless) train.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
+1
George,

Is this what you're referring to?



While the Amtrak ex-CZ four-car set is sold out at Kato, they still are reasonably easy to find if you don't want to re-purpose an existing model.  Item #106-3522.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
0
I didn't realize they came already painted in Phase I!
Mine is lettered CZ, I was planning to repaint it.

Thanks for the pointer Bryan.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11879
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: Amtrak ex-CZ Diner, Phase I paint
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
0
Yeah factory paint would be easier. For decals you need 3 sets of Microscale decals, and then there's the car name.  :facepalm: