I posted this question on another forum. No one there was sure. Perhaps someone who does not post on that forum but does on this one might know. I think that we do have a CNJ/Reading Company guy here who does not post on the other forum.
As part of the Court Order on Pullman and the sleeping car business, Pullman sold OTTAWA to the Reading.
Does anyone know how Reading had this car lettered in the period 1948-1955?
Was READING COMPANY on the letterboard or PULLMAN?
From what I have read, there is only one extant photograph of the prototype. It is not a good photograph.
It appears that there was no small PULLMAN over the doors. Many roads, after 1948, had the road name on the letterboard but PULLMAN in small lettering over the doors, or on either end of the car.
It appears that the car name is where it always was. What is not clear is does it read READING COMPANY on the letterboard or PULLMAN?
There is a tinplate version of this car that has the bright green stripe over the window sections. The only Reading passenger cars that I have seen that had that paint scheme were the Standard coaches that Reading had rebuilt into the Looks-Like-American-Flyer-Coach-But-Has-One-Window-Missing. The tinplate version has READING COMPANY on the letterboard and OTTAWA below the windows, which is where it would have been under Pullman ownership or railroad ownership.
Thank you in advance.