Author Topic: Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one  (Read 1501 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3784
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:33:58 AM »
0
I'm looking to put some boardwalks in the old (wooden structures) part of my NE town and I was wondering how wide they were/are. This could be any boardwalk (whether Old West, Victorian Midwest, etc) that was erected in the days before concrete sidewalks. I remember seeing them in small New England towns along the coast when I visited there in the late '70s. By the late '80s when I went back I saw hardly any.
Not looking for info on the famous Atlantic Boardwalk.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10588
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:52:18 AM »
0
I think it probably depended on the town and location, just like today's sidewalks.  A business district walk was probably wider than a residential one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it also varied with the width of the street.  Narrow streets probably had narrower walks, because there'd still have to be room for wagons and carriages to get through.

If you have a particular town in mind, it wouldn't be surprising to find that the modern sidewalks are the same width, to avoid changing easements and traffic patterns.
N Kalanaga
Be well

highway70

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:55:51 AM »
0
Approximate current sidewalk widths in some in business districts of some western towns - buildings built in 1800's. Probably same as original sidewalks/

Old Sacramento CA  13' (modern boardwalk) , Marysville CA 10', Nevada City CA 8', Grass Valley CA 10', Virginia City NV 8', Dunsmuir CA 8',   St Elmo CO has some interesting boardwalk  3-4' wide stepping  a hill in 10' long sections. http://hikebloglove.com/2012/07/10/from-st-elmo-to-tincup-via-tincup-pass-in-chaffee-county-colorado/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:36:23 AM by highway70 »

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3784
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Re: Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
0
Aha, not all of them were elevated like the ones in cowboy movies saloons. The stepped construction also makes it pretty interesting-- no building had to elevate or depress its foundations to match the sidewalk -- the sidewalk stepped up or down for each building. This would work well for the block I'm envisioning, which is uneven ground.
I plan on brick streets and grass growing between the edge of the bricks and the boardwalk would also look pretty good.

Doc Frankenfield

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 119
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +21
Re: Width of boardwalk for old towns -- NOT the NJ one
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
0
usually for old towns board walks were to get you out of the mud.. the size of concrete sidewalks reflects this so average about 3-4 ft.  I would say narrowest would be 30 inches.
at the widest. say in front of a general store where good would be displayed, 6ft