Dave,
if you manage to separate the circuit board from the head casting I have the skill and equipment to repair/replace/resolder any of the LEDs and wires. Since these signals are so rare, I can try to fix them for you.
Looking at the link you posted earlier, the head casting is metal and the circuit board is standard glass-epoxy material. The LEDs are also made from a similar. Since you will be disassembling the signal anyway, take it apart and then soak the head assembly in acetone overnight. That should soften the ACC glue. Then clean the circuit board as much as you can and send it so me. I'll fix whatever needs to be fixed. The replacement LEDs are still available (but discontinued) at Digikey for about 10 cents each (or less in quantity).
I have several projects on the plate right now but I woudl be able to get to this sometime in the early 2013.
Thanks for the offer! I will probably leave them as-is for the meantime, as all of this is prep for my
GMR shoot which I plan to do next month. The nice thing is that generally there will be a train in the shot, so if it's before the signal, it'll be clear, and if past, it will indicate stop. But next Spring if the offer still stands, I'd consider taking them apart.