Author Topic: finally a little progress on a lingering project-ATSF smoothside baggage car  (Read 1166 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arbomambo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1530
  • Respect: +1602
Hello all...
After building the first AMB smooth side 64' ATSF baggage car, I can finally add an update to this project.
I saved the window masks from the AMB kit after painting by very gently peeling them off and applying them to clear styrene.then I cut the doors to fit the openings in the Walthers car.
While I had the car body out, I decided to go ahead and strip the shell,(using 91% alcohol per some recent posts here...I was very happy using this as a stripper for the first time!) as I had been unhappy with the paint job I had done on it...I really like the finish of the Tamiya Flat aluminum on the AMB 'silver' car...my plan is to repaint the sides and undeframe in Tamiya Flat Aluminum but keep the roof in it's more 'polished' state-per all the reference pics for this one...
at this point 3 doors are glued in place; I plan to paint the last door seperately and affix it in a slightly open position.
Thanks for looking,
Bruce





"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/


arbomambo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1530
  • Respect: +1602
0
paint is on...suddenly, although I realized this would never be a 'super accurate' model of an ATSF ACF smoothside baggage, the Walthers' smoothside baggage starts to really resemble an ATSF version...
...at the very least, I've not purchased the Walthers car completely in vain (it wasn't cheap)
Thanks for looking,
Bruce







"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/


arbomambo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1530
  • Respect: +1602
0
posed next to the 64' AMB baggage



Thanks for looking,
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/


Wardie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +34
0
Bruce,

Though I know nothing about Santa Fe varnish I must say nice job, and thanks for showing everything you do. Someday when I am ready to start bashing MEC and B&M 6 door(3 per side) baggage cars I think what you have shown with your work will help me along.