Thanks again, great stuff. So, how would you rate the SER 128's performance as compared to the SER 53? Out of the box, my SER 53 barely ran (what with the tender current constantly coming and going). However, performance improved significantly after cleaning up the tender trucks as you suggested. I also applied a tiny glob of solder to where the drawbar wire inserts into the drawbar (something I've often found helps out with this older style of drawbar). Stalls aren't a problem anymore, but it still runs just a bit uneven at slow speeds (and with the headlight flickering in concert with the slight up-and-down speed changes). I'd say it started out as a "D" and moved up to a "C" (almost a "B").
All of the problems with mine appear to be related to the tender pickup and how the tender current gets to the engine. So, I'm assuming that if all of these issues were addressed with that revised tender and drawbar, the SER 128's must be fine runners indeed. No?
-Mark