Author Topic: The NP decals came back!  (Read 1971 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
The NP decals came back!
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
0
Some of you, especially compatriots from the old Atlas Forum, may remember my search for some NP steam
decals (Microscale 60-118) to finish my 0-8-0 project.  They've been out of production for years.
I had contacted Microscale about doing me a special run (250 sheets), and they said they would do it,
but then recanted and said they would rather rerun the set themselves "soon".

Well, apparently, "soon" is here.  I don't know when they did them, but they are back in stock on their website.
Also, several variants of N Scale NP passenger car decals have been rerun.

So, maybe the future of decals isn't all dark.  If they hear from enough people, it does seem that they will
rerun the out-of-production sets.

Joy!

w neal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Respect: +483
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
0
GREAT NEWS!!!!! I need to order some passenger car decals!! Thanks for telling us!!
Buffering...

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3531
  • Respect: +391
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
0
Sweet!!!!   :D
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Freight Train

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +26
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
0
Hope that's a good sign that they might be re-running other decals that also have been out of stock on  :D
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »
0
Hope that's a good sign that they might be re-running other decals that also have been out of stock on  :D
I'm hopeful about this too.  When I called them about my steam decals, I had heard from another NP modeler
who actually was the one who eventually saved me by sending me a sheet he had stashed away.
But in the meantime, he mentioned needing the pine tree passenger car stripes and lettering (the pre-Loewy
green scheme, I believe it was... now don't hurt me... I'm still catching up on my NP!)

Anyway, I mentioned that to Microscale when I had them on the phone (I told them I knew a modeler who
needed those and I told them the specific sheet numbers).

Perhaps if enough people, who need discontinued sets, were to just call and ask, they would see an
interest and rerun the sets.  I think that's really all that happened in my case.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1026
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:39:41 AM »
0
SO MUCH WIN!!!

Gotta order me a mess of the sheets before they got out of stock for a long time again!!
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Alwyn Cutmore

  • Guest
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:46 AM »
0
Max,

That happens sometimes. You do all the work and then the manufacturer steals your thunder. Makes you just want to spit.

Regards

Al

SP-Wolf

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 834
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2085
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
0
Excellent news!!!

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »
0
Max,

That happens sometimes. You do all the work and then the manufacturer steals your thunder. Makes you just want to spit.

Regards

Al

Well,  I didn't take it that way in this case.

They gave me a very good price, and I figured I could sell them off at a few bucks a piece, and hope to make back my money.

They probably figured that if I was willing to take that chance, I must be pretty sure I could sell a good bunch of them, and they would rather do it themselves and make the money.

I really don't begrudge them.  They cannot be in business sitting on a couple hundred decal sheets that don't sell.  They
have to use their press and their time to churn out stuff that brings in money.

I'm just glad they printed them.

Alwyn Cutmore

  • Guest
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
0
Hi Max,

Well I suppose if you came out of it alright that is fine. I know what it is like to do all the lead up work and then have it taken out of your hands and you loose the lot. Happened on a HO loco kit. But now they have competition as I am able to produce the same kit and do not have to allow for a dealer markup.

Regards

Al

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:49:55 AM »
0
Hi Max,

Well I suppose if you came out of it alright that is fine. I know what it is like to do all the lead up work and then have it taken out of your hands and you loose the lot. Happened on a HO loco kit. But now they have competition as I am able to produce the same kit and do not have to allow for a dealer markup.

Regards

Al

Ah, right.  Now I see where you are going with this.  In my case, I did not have any money, or any R&D work invested in this.
Just a little time prodding them on the phone and getting a price to have a special run made.
If they had told me they weren't going to make the decals, and I had paid to have them made by somebody else,
and THEN MS reran the set, yes, then I'd be miffed.  But luckily, nothing like that happened here.

superturbine

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 909
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +62
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
0
Casting is done... Working on fitting.  Soon your a4 will need decals. :).  Thanks for posting

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The NP decals came back!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
0
Casting is done... Working on fitting.  Soon your a4 will need decals. :).  Thanks for posting
Yay!  Thank you!