Author Topic: Intermountain F-7A/B question  (Read 2467 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Intermountain F-7A/B question
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
0
I have a number of Intermountain F7B units that I would like to convert into A units by adding a replacement shell. Before I purchase a replacement shell I need to know to know if the A shell will fit on the IM B mechanism? Do they share the same mechanism?

Thank you,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:45:33 PM by BCOL 747 »

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3531
  • Respect: +391
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
0
I would think that the mechanism would be the same.  The couplers are all body mounted so that should not be an issue (think Kato) so I would think you could simply sap shells.  I only have an F7 B and an FT set.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
0
Wouldn't the A mechanism have a notch on the front to account for the cab windows, etc?  If so, then I'd say it was a no go.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
0
The only difference between an A and a B (apart from the shell) is that the A's have headlights and the B's don't.

-Mark

BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
0
Brian, Philip & Mark

Thank you for the replies. Mark, I assume that the light is attached to the PC board. If I installed a decoder with a light would the frame need notching or are there fiber optic tubes in the A that lead to the front headlight?

Kind regards,
Chris

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »
0
Unfortunately, the A unit headlights are not part of the PC board. Rather, they are mounted to the front of the chassis and connected to the PC board via a couple of wires. This is one of my few gripes about these locos, since DCC conversion involves a soldering iron - IE, you have to disconnect the headlight wires from the stock PC board and then re-solder them to the decoder.



Some good news for you is that the B units do come with the little headlight shroud (it being part of the coupler assembly, believe it or not). You'd just need to provide your own bulbs and then solder them to the decoders.



Cheers,
-Mark

BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
0
Thanks Mark, the photos are very helpful indeed. I will now purchase the A shells I need.
Take care,
Chris
 :D

mark.hinds

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +82
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
0
May I ask, who did you find who sells spare Intermountain shells?

MH

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3531
  • Respect: +391
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
0
I have seen them all over EBay lately.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »
0
Hi Mark

That is correct. There are a bunch on e bay this week.

Chris

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
0
So most of the F shells are running from $10 to $15.  The Western Maryland shells are popping over $30.  What's that tell ya?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »
0
So most of the F shells are running from $10 to $15.  The Western Maryland shells are popping over $30.  What's that tell ya?

Lee

That someone is hoarding them . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
0
And your charging to much :D

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Intermountain F-7A/B question
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
0
They went for over $40 clams a piece. Jesus. Bring me the Circus, Intermountain!!!!

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website