Author Topic: N scale Question of the Week! 20 July 2011  (Read 4131 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 20 July 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
0
It was fun while it lasted, but there was no way in hell I could justify spending an entire weekend weeding so I could run trains for an hour on Sunday night.
Lee

Casoron by Lily Miller.  Sprinkle around the roadbed in the early Spring and maybe mid-Summer, no weeding required.
I've long had taking a stab at an outdoor railroad in the back of my mind but every time I see what they get for the track, I regain focus.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


packers#1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1627
  • Gender: Male
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +897
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 20 July 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
0
Packers, in a way, it's appropriate that you wiped that locomotive with toilet paper... ;D
How'd you know the reaction on trains.com when I posted it?  8)
Mark, hehe, now THAT'S how a nine-year-old enjoys trains!  :P
Sawyer
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Clay Locomotive Biggest Failure
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
0
           Back in Wayback Time when there was British made Lone Star 000 trains is when this occurred. I have always loved the Union Pacific Rail Road City of Denver ,COSF diesels with the 1930's art Deco Automobile look with their Raised cabs and huge chrome front grills. I was taking a Summer college Pottery class at the time and found that a couple of the carving tools could probably be used to carve a loco body out of potters clay which dried nice and hard even without fireing. Working from photos of the A Unit locomotives I guestimated the leingth and details,made it just slightly longer then the Lone Star powered F-7 diesel and with a hollowed (carved out) interrior to accomidate what ever mech I might devise.The Lone Star passenger car trucks available seperately looked enough like the AAR trucks on the locomotives so I thought I would use them. Painted the dried clay body with Testors paints which I then regurarly used,set the body down on the trucls,it looked fairly good, not quite as crude as I had expected. Many problems though. No pilot, lower side skirts to cover a fuel tank. Big problem though,no frame and of course the long narrow hollowed out inside space would not fit any motor. I was proud enough of it however,that I took several B&W photos with my Roli Flex camera of it pulling Lone Star cars on my mostly unscenicked first N/000 layout and sent one to MR who of course did not run it.  Now if I can just figure out how to power the nice accurate N Scale size Christmas Ornimentof one of these locos from a couple of years back.  Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.