Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE (Read 4025 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
unittrain
Crew
Posts: 1492
Respect:
+148
GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
on:
July 19, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
0
I'm scratchbuilding a truss bridge and have come to the point where I need to attach my GMM X-bracing to my stryrene columns, so I was wondering which type of glue would be best for this application. I got standard model glue and ZAP-A-GAP also various super glues. I've never really tried gluing brass to styrene before, so my question is has anybody done this before? I know how the styrene melts easy and don't want to use the wrong glue! Thanks for any info.
Logged
Bendtracker1
Crew
Posts: 1546
Remember The Rock!
Respect:
+1647
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #1 on:
July 19, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
0
I've had good luck with the 5 minute, 2 part epoxy.
I would make sure that both parts are clean and make sure you sand the brass with a real fine sandpaper such as 600 grit or finer, then clean it with alcohol before you glue it. Try not to touch it with your skin after you clean it.
Logged
Allen...
The Little Rock Line
DKS
The Pitt
Crew
Posts: 13424
Respect:
+7027
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #2 on:
July 19, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
0
Depends on the surface area of the bond and the stresses that will be applied to the parts. I have had excellent luck using thick CA, but it's not especially strong. Epoxy would be stronger, but might pose a cosmetics issue. Best to be sure the surface area of the joint is as large and smooth as practical.
«
Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:50:27 PM by David K. Smith
»
Logged
Ian MacMillan
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 12034
Gender:
Learn to use the god damn search feature!
Respect:
+167
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #3 on:
July 20, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »
0
Pete, pnolan48, might have some hints as I bet that he does styrene/brass on his ships.
Logged
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!
Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1
up1950s
Crew
Posts: 9966
Gender:
Respect:
+2885
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #4 on:
July 20, 2011, 12:38:14 AM »
0
I rough up both surfaces then use Krazy Glue .
Logged
Richie Dost
unittrain
Crew
Posts: 1492
Respect:
+148
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #5 on:
July 20, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
0
Thanks for the input I'll give the super glue a try but first kinda file the edges of the columns, I'll do a few test pieces first. I"ll post some pictures of the bridge and share my technique for building it in the coming week.
Logged
delamaize
Crew
Posts: 2654
Gender:
Prairie Line Native
Respect:
+1025
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #6 on:
July 20, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
0
Quote from: up1950s on July 20, 2011, 12:38:14 AM
I rough up both surfaces then use Krazy Glue .
+1, except CA for me.
Logged
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder
Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)
TrainCat2
Crew
Posts: 2014
Gender:
I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
Respect:
+932
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #7 on:
July 20, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
0
Lightly sand both surfaces with 150 grit paper and use Zap-A-Gap. No worries there.
Logged
Regards
boB Knight
I Spell boB Backwards
pnolan48
Crew
Posts: 1754
Respect:
+136
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #8 on:
July 25, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
0
I use thin CA on both ships and bridges. Good contact and cleanliness, as others above pointed out, are the keys. I get parts into position and apply a small drop of CA, often with the point of a pin. Pooling CA wastes a lot of it, but I go to the local dollar store and get two or four tubes for $1.
On some applications I've had good luck with plain old plastic tube cement, used sparingly. It bonds with the styrene and envelops the brass.
Neither of these methods creates a strong bond; but neither does epoxy on bridge joints if you do not want to see it. It's more the number of attachment points rather than the strength of each point. The US Navy curators want holes drilled and epoxy used--that's strong but very painstaking, and not always possible.
Logged
https://www.forevermissed.com/peter-k-nolan/about
unittrain
Crew
Posts: 1492
Respect:
+148
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #9 on:
July 25, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
0
Thanks for all the help I'll make sure I get enough glue points for strength cause definatly want the glue as non visible as possible. I'm starting to wonder if I just should have built the whole bridge from brass! What made me shy away from brass was the etching that would be needed I bought photo-resist and etchant and laminator ect then chickened out when I read an article on home etching and the guy was explaining how to build the etching tank with a pump and pvc it was just way more involved than I wanted to get. I thought you could etch decently with a basic set up.
Logged
up1950s
Crew
Posts: 9966
Gender:
Respect:
+2885
Re: GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE
«
Reply #10 on:
July 25, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »
0
If the joint is unseen I drill a hole or more in the brass to increase the adhesionositilyability . :
Logged
Richie Dost
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
GLUING BRASS TO STYRENE