Author Topic: Really technology?  (Read 5645 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
0
I haven't kept up. Which phone do you have now? I recently got a Droid Incredible 2 and the guy was like Oh it has an 8 megapixel camera, but I haven't tried any closeups. Did download the Throttle app a while back but haven't set up wireless to try and use it.

KB

That's what mine is too. I love it so far, although I do miss the qwerty keyboard at times.

And Doug?...


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
0
Slow day in the N scale forum. Can I repost this in the HO forum?  ;)

Nice plow there Ed!


chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
0
Chris - Nice hobby shop you own there....

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
0
That's what mine is too. I love it so far, although I do miss the qwerty keyboard at times.

Should have gone for the Desire Z:
http://www.htc.com/au/product/desirez/overview.html

Had mine for a couple of months and enjoy it - will have to try some model photos sometime.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
0
Coatings are one aspect of the whole field of optics. So, likely the phone has some generic lens coated with a material developed by Zeiss, who offer a whole range of coatings for various applications, such as anti-glare for eyeglasses. Most camera lens coatings are designed to reduce chromatic aberration.

But does it cook you bacon? Now, that would be wow-worthy.

Perhaps I should have thrown a smiley face in there, as my ribbing was aimed at how the word coating was used almost in place of optics, as if the coating were more important. Yes, Zeiss is into coatings but it's coatings are aimed at anti-reflection and lens strength. When you're talking a lens that small you're better off using a demosaicing algorithm to correct the achromatism likely being experienced with such a narrow pixel pitch. But there's still the depth of field and focus selection issue. It would be great to be able to say my phone will beat your camera, but we're not there yet.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Really technology?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
0
Nice plow there Ed!

That's what she said.  :o


(yes, a slow day indeed).
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook