Author Topic: Athearn April Announcements  (Read 2634 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Athearn April Announcements
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
0
50' PS1 Boxcars
CR
SAL
SOU
WP

30k Ethanol Tank Cars
GATX/Soy
Procor Green
TILX

Also, they will now start offereing their own metal wheelsets for their trucks.

Ooop didn;t see this sheet until i turned it over

2 pack 28' trailers w/dolly
CF
Roadway
Roadway express
YRC
Owner Operator
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:01:41 PM by asarge »

ai5629

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 801
  • Respect: +247
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
0
I looked on the Athearn web site, and the 50' Conrail car depicted is straight from the Conrail Historical Web site, class 864B / CR210655.  (Ed / Sean, did you have anything to do with this?)  I also just saw a photo of it in the MS CR Color Guide.  The Athearn car is a PS prototype, while the 864B was a NYC Despatch Shops built car.  The PS ends are close, but incorrect.  The roof is incorrect and the prototype is rivited while the PS is welded.  Athearn could have modeled the correct car in the Conrail fleet is they had chosen the ex Erie class BE52D shown on page 64 in the Guide, CR267869.  There is a partial photo of another one of these cars with a big logo on page 67 (267906 coupled to 271711).  There is a full photo of 267906 on the Conrail Cyclopedia web site.  I decaled four 862B/863B/864B's back in the mid 90's using MT cars even though they are incorrect.  I did not know of the BE52D's at the time.  I will pick up the Athearn cars to support their choice of modeling Conrail cars.  Maybe I will renumber and reclass one to CR267906.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
0
My hope is that they do away with the roofwalks on the Conrails. The schemes on teh Ethanol Tank Cars are nice also.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »
0
I may get the CR PS1 though they were pretty much gone by 98. The trailers look tempting but I want the damn Mack R cab with them.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
0
I don't remember seeing anything come across my email about the CR boxes. But I'm not complaining!

I do hope they do the smaller logo, because the larger one is starting to get done to death, considering it was only used for a few years.

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
0
CF 
trailers look mighty darn tempting.  $25.00US price means that they need to be spectacular to be coming home with me...
Support fine modeling

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:02:51 PM »
0
It's the lrge logo Ed.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
0
Arrgh. Another manufacturer going for the "flashy" stuff... with the Atlas Trainman cars out there with the same logo and serving in the same service, these might just tip the scale of "too many of that style already".

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
0
I would buy all 10 of the TILX cars in a heartbeat, if they would do them without the flashy added logo's. I see trains full of them all the time and not a single one has more than TILX printed on the side of them. I think I have maybe seen one with a VeraSun logo, and it wasn't this style tank. (I know the Athearns aren't a prefect match either)

Give me plain jane tank cars!!!!



This started a string of 20 brand new cars. I wouldn't even need to weather them to model the train, just dress up the wheels with a little rust on them and blue axle caps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:46:38 PM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
0
Ed, how many PS1s made it to a small modern logo? I thought these were all repainted early and retired by the mid 80's.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »
0
Give me plain jane tank cars!!!!

+1. 

And I would love it if they produced this car with the smaller TILX-style railings and plumbing up top.  Given that they produced 3 different styles of LPG tanker, it is not inconceivable (though not likely).  At least they released several plain UTLX cars.

-gfh

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »
0
Skipgear, was that picture taken on the I&O ex B&O Columbus line?

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »
0
Yay more Roadway trailers! I wish they would redo the St Johnsbury and Yellow ones...staples of New England in the 80s and 90s.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Athearn April Announcements
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
0
Skipgear, was that picture taken on the I&O ex B&O Columbus line?

Sort of, in the valley heading NE out of Loveland. It's the Ohio Division between Loveland and Midland City. The grade crossing is for Goshen Murdock road. The line now turns North to Washington Courthouse instead of continuing east toward Chillicothe now. What's left of the East line ends at Leesburg / Greenfield.
Tony Hines