Author Topic: I am just not buying it Atlas....  (Read 2497 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3530
  • Respect: +391
I am just not buying it Atlas....
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
0
I just noticed that the Walthers RS-2 is 10 bucks cheaper street than the Atlas GP-30/35.  Atlas is also 10 to 17 bucks more expensive than Kato.  Athearn is also 10 bucks cheaper.  I find it hard to believe I am the only one that finds this puzzling.  I would sure like to see Atlas get their costs/prices back in line with the market and competition.  It not a matter of what I can afford but what I feel the market value is.  It seems like there is a 10 dollar increase for every new release. 

Considering the compitition is producing fewer models per year and fewer road names per run I am coming to the opinion that Atlas has a flaw in its business model.  I would have to imagine they produce more engines for sale per year than the others and yet the others are much more competitive on price.  So at what price point do you say I am not buying anymore Atlas units. 

I now only buying Burlington related engines now.  There are probably 15 more engines I would buy at sub $70, but I am not even willing to buy 10 more at more than $70 per unit.  In fact as a result my budget for Atlas engines is now being spent on modern day Amtrak stuff from Kato.

I am in the process of designing a staging yard to add to my layout to hide my modern stuff and that of the Southern Pacific that does not fit into my mid 50s Chicago layout.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

inkaneer

  • Guest
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
0
Don't like it then don't buy it.  That goes for anything about a product.  However, what kicks you in the pants is if you want a GP30 or GP 35 you got to go to Atlas.  Maybe that will change in the future, who knows.  But right now that's the way it is.  Also Atlas does some roads none of the other guys will touch.  If you modeled those roads maybe your tune would be different.  Right now Atlas is the front runner in N scale.  Compare their repair parts to the others.  I can still get repair parts for my RS11's that I bought back in the early 1980's  Try that with Kato.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
0
With my budget, I really don't have a choice but to wait for the after-market.  It's a tighter squeeze on availability, but with a little prowling, I can usually find what I need and usually at a well-below street price.  The next major hit I will likely take will be when Intermountain releases another round of WM F units, especially if they come in RWB.  Otherwise, I'm well supplied, so things keep moving.

I did place a pre-order for this fall's GP-9's, but my local has done a pretty good job of pricing things for me.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
0
Here's the rub..Atlas is the Godzilla of  N Scale and they know their product is top notch..They also know they offer the most locomotives and freight cars and in that light they charge more since they have no real competition.

I am sure they would be concern if Walthers,Kato,Athearn or even FVM kicked N Scale production into high gear.

Larry

Summerset Ry.

Lenny53

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2298
  • Respect: +2063
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
0
I really miss the pre-Walthers Lifelike as they were going in a great direction while keeping the competition on their toes at the same time.   

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
0
Aside from the obvious that no one is forcing you to buy Atlas products ... If you have an issue with the pricing, why don't you ask them directly instead of repeatedly crying about it here?  You really should get all of the facts before lobbing the grenades.  ::)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
0
It usually doesn't bother me until I open up a loco like the Atlas GP-30 and see 1993 molded into the shell.  Paying higher than average prices for something that was designed and tooled 18 years ago does give me pause sometimes.  

I'm surprised no one in 18 years has given the Atlas GP30 a run for it's money.  It was a great model when it came out, but the details aren't anywhere near current standards.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:03:50 PM by wcfn100 »

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3530
  • Respect: +391
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
0
Aside from the obvious that no one is forcing you to buy Atlas products ... If you have an issue with the pricing, why don't you ask them directly instead of repeatedly crying about it here?  You really should get all of the facts before lobbing the grenades.  ::)


They don't respond to anything unless you break one of their forum rules.  At least not in N scale or to n scalers.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »
0
They don't respond to anything unless you break one of their forum rules.  At least not in N scale or to n scalers.

That is absolutely untrue.  Send a direct email or call them.  There are a number of people there that will respond.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Rossford Yard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1201
  • Respect: +165
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
0
.......I am coming to the opinion that Atlas has a flaw in its business model.  I would have to imagine they produce more engines for sale per year than the others and yet the others are much more competitive on price. 

Hmmm,

let's see. The sell more and at a higher price.  Sounds to me like they have an excellent business model! ;D

maybe some of us just have a flawed consumer model.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
0
maybe some of us just have a flawed consumer model.

Ding, ding, ding. Winnah, winnah.

Ken G Price

  • Guest
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
0
They don't respond to anything unless you break one of their forum rules.  At least not in N scale or to n scalers.
OK, we get it. You just don't like Atlas. >:(  You want an excuse for not buying Atlas and you want others here to validate your dislike of Atlas. Well, it seems that so far that is not happening.
Have a nice day! ;D

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: I am just not buying it Atlas....
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
0
Send a direct email or call them.  There are a number of people there that will respond.

Quote
Dear Atlas,

I don't like your prices. Please lower them, or I will not buy your products.

Sincerely,
Joe Shmoe

Quote
Dear Joe,

Sorry you won't be buying any of our products. There are plenty of others who do.

Have a good day,
Atlas