Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/14/10  (Read 8981 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
0
I spilled coffee on my cell up in the Poconos on Saturday AM. Damn thing still won't work. Partial story on the morning edition.

Was up at Cresco and took a few shots. The Phoebe Snow (not the singer) used to stop there. There was a freight siding with cars visible from the station - so it appears the rails are stilling generating revenue (pix are on my wife's camera and she has it hidden at the moment).

I also got this late last week:



It's my study of how freight cars kits were made in Neanderthal times.

Mark


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
0
Was busy with family stuff on top of Trainfest weekend and the Modutrak layout being on display again. I did find some time to take a giant leap of faith and start weathering up one of my Big Boy locos. I'm still working on it, but this is where I'm at so far...

And by that he means he worked up the courage to send it to Tom Mann. By working on it further he means, pay Tom Mann more money to get it done. ;D

Great work! You'll have to post a "how to" on the next one you do, personally I think it would be a good read!

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
0
Oh man; that is out of this world weathering..............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
0
That Big Boy worked so hard it threw a traction tire.   :P   ;D
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
0
Be careful Lee, something tells me that road so close to the edge will find more adult beverages parked on it than vehicles; and then you have to watch out of  for spillage/alcohol abuse. Consider use non-absorbent materials there or that overlook may end up smelling like Fells Point in the morning.


Not to worry, Bry Guy.  That's actually about 4' away from the front edge of the benchwork, tucked back under the ceiling as you can see in the lead shot.  Accommodation for beverages will be made at appropriate locations around the layout.

I have to finish this area and get it detailed to a satisfactory level to be able to close up the hole that I'm currently using to access it.  I'm in the process of engineering a removable hatch so I can open it up later for maintenance purposes.  My plan is to stop at the Dollar Tree for one of those extended reach grabbers to deal with any errant freight cars...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
0
[snip]Accommodation for beverages will be made at appropriate locations around the layout.[/snip]

Like my belly!  ;D

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
0
I actually have something to contribute, after a year of not touching the model RR.  Life got in the way, more specifically I was divorced.  Luckily it worked out that I was able to keep the house.  So, thankfully didn't have to tear down the layout.  At any rate, I’m not sure if any of you guys remember me, but I’ve been building a D&RGW layout set in 1956.  My interest finally returned.  After spending some time figuring out where I left off and where I stashed things, I broke out the modeling supplies.  I’m in the process of scenicing the Denver portion of the layout.  My current project is building a building that will be on the very edge of the layout and is cut off at the layout edge.  I decided to do this because visually I believe it’s a good way to convey that the city extends beyond the edge of the layout.  I also added some photos of the city area.



I like what I see there Erik, any wider shots of just the area where the round house is? Looks good

Brian
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
0
Finally, the Ponderosa Northern supplied a double door 50ft boxcar (PNR 2043) for interchange service:



The car rides on BLMA 70 ton ASF trucks, and features some Gary Hinshaw-inspired Full Throttle body mount couplers (which are compared in this photo to standard MTL Truck mounts with pizza cutters):



All this equipment awaits weathering and the addition of details.  The PNR car will get BLMA Trainline airhoses and etched metal cut levers and brake platforms.

All that, of course, assumes some sleep sometime soon . . .

Nice job on that car, those things have now travelled far and wide. :)

Erik W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1019
  • Respect: +796
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
0
I like what I see there Erik, any wider shots of just the area where the round house is? Looks good

Brian


Brian,

Here’s a few shots I had in my photo album.


This is the only macro shot I have of that area, from many years ago.


This one is from a few years ago.


This one is a more recent photo, with the two D&RGW 3600 class 2-8-8-2s seen in the roundhouse.

Erik

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »
0
Welcome back Erik
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »
0
  I was busy over the weekend at our local Wasatch Division N M R A Show so didn't get to read updates till now. UP 1950's  very nice detailing to a UP loco on the Bachperson 2-8-0. Erik,welcome back,nice scenes on your layout. Lashup (WOW !) are we sure that isn't a photo shopped  shot of a weathered proto Big Boy. I have done some wathering,but have held off doing my two locos,but now you have given me the courage to try. Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt Lake, Utah.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
0
Chuck,

My 2' x 3' layout just wasn't cutting it for me, and I just couldn't take armchair modeling anymore.  Hope you can break out soon, too.  Feel free to steal away.   It's not right to call it my plan.  The inspiration for Aberdeen (other than the prototype) came from a 45-year-old track plan by MR's Gordon Odegard.  Then, I roughed out the rest, which David K. Smith cleaned up and provided some great ideas.  Voila!  I love the end result and cannot wait to get some track down.

DFF

Foxxey - is this a door - or do we have different versions of hollow core doors based on regions?

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11763
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/10
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
0
Always good to se Erik and his Rio Grande...!