Author Topic: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit (finished)  (Read 3010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
One of the local sages around here said that once "there's a prototype for every model if you search hard enough".... I guess they were right.

The common thought was that it would be tough to make a CPR 8 hatch reefer out of a GHQ CN 8 hatch kit; wrong door; missing panel rivets; wrong sill....

Well; dig hard enough and you'll find an answer....

CPR's first steel reefers, the 281600 series were much closer to the CN prototypes. The same type and size door; the same overall dimentions and only a small (yet to be finished) difference in the roof hatch rests. The panels had a rivet row and the sill was streight but this was not a huge challenge....

The resin shell had the sill evened out and filled using strip styrene, then puttied and sanded. The bottom row of rivets was left as they were located in that place on the prototype. The grabs were sanded off, as was the tack board. I added wire grabs and moved the tackboard and liquiometer (otherside)

A MT roof walkway (metal) ws added - I didnt have a brass one - If I find one I'll use it. The car in question kept it's wooden end platforms but had metal walkways added.

I "embossed" a row of rivets in the center of each panel, per the prototype. Archer rivets are not available here and I didn't want to wait. I also shortened the ladder one rung, per the CPR car.

The car got the CPR stacked livery and was aged; had paint outs added and some patches and rust; this puppy was built in 1946... (served into the 80's)

I need to add the door stirup and the hatch rests, but here it is with a CN car built from the same kit.



Not too bad a copy of the CPR car and "different enough" from their CNR cousins.

I guess you CAN find a prototype for every model..... ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:50:38 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:02 AM »
0
Nice, Pud! That CN cars looks really nice, as does the CP though my preference would be in the script. So did any CP's make it into the script of the multimark? Where did you get these GHQ kits? Out of my era (I think), but I bet you could still find one or two in the weeds in the late 80's somewhere.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »
0
Nice, Pud! That CN cars looks really nice, as does the CP though my preference would be in the script. So did any CP's make it into the script of the multimark? Where did you get these GHQ kits? Out of my era (I think), but I bet you could still find one or two in the weeds in the late 80's somewhere.

None made it to multi mark but many made it into script. The last of this series of reefers was in heated service (charcoal heaters) until the mid 80's according to several published sources.

I bought the GHQ kits through their website.

Mike
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
0
I have added the oddball hatch rests (0.010 wire bent into a reasonable copy of the steel rests) and added the stirups...





About ten hours for the modifications and build. I think another would be much quicker so I want to convert maybe three more; two in this livery and one in the "script" livery.

GHQ has made a nice model.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
0
Great work there Pub.  For some reason the which car looks bigger for some reason.  I thinkl the color makes it that way.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
0
For some reason the which car looks bigger for some reason.  I thinkl the color makes it that way.


I think pudd extended the sides down a bit.

Lookin' good Puddington!

Mark


Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
0
I think pudd extended the sides down a bit.

Lookin' good Puddington!

Mark

Yep; the CPR car has a flat bottom whilst the CN has the raised and "bumps" sill....

Thanks guys.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6764
  • Respect: +2639
0
Puddington, you must have one of the most unique fleets in N scale.  Very impressive.

Great work there Pub.  For some reason the which car looks bigger for some reason.  I thinkl the color makes it that way.


Me thinks Bob may have been hitting the Pub there...  ::)

-gfh

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
0
Puddington, you must have one of the most unique fleets in N scale.  Very impressive.

Me thinks Bob may have been hitting the Pub there...  ::)

-gfh

And he didn't invite any of us!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
0
........now if I could only model unique N scale cars while in a pub......HEY, NOW WAIT A MINUTE, WE MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING......................... :o ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit (finished)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
0
There needs to be a Railwire Pub on all of our layouts...  With a dusky side entrance marked "Crew Lounge"...

Maybe a poster announcing that there are "Hot Models and Stripped Down Bodies inside"

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit (finished)
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
0
There needs to be a Railwire Pub on all of our layouts...  With a dusky side entrance marked "Crew Lounge"...

Maybe a poster announcing that there are "Hot Models and Stripped Down Bodies inside"

Lee

I am so on this . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit (finished)
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
0
You could even spill some stale beer on the pub and have model smell.  I love how this thread is going in another direction, all because I thought the one car looked a little bigger.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: There's a prototype for every model... CPR Reefer out of a GHQ kit (finished)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
0
You could even spill some stale beer on the pub and have model smell.  I love how this thread is going in another direction, all because I thought the one car looked a little bigger.

Na; any thread started by a canuck will eventually find its way to beer all by itself........ :-\

Besides, what do you think the car is carrying......not carrots for heaven sake......can you say "Molson"...?

Knew ya could ! :o
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!