Author Topic: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?  (Read 4422 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
0
Would Kalmbach have any old photos to share?

I guess they might....this was located within a mile of their offices for more than 50 years. Then again in their Beer Line series in Model Railroader they didn't publish ANY new proto photos the line. That was a bit hard for me to deal with. I will send them an email and see what they say. The Milwaukee Road archives at the Milwaukee Public Library is also on my list, but they have been closed for a year or so due to budget problems. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
0
I've never seen a copy, so I'm wingin' it here, but how about Harnack's book? I really wish they'd reprint the darn thing so I could get a copy.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
0
I've never seen a copy, so I'm wingin' it here, but how about Harnack's book? I really wish they'd reprint the darn thing so I could get a copy.
Thanks for the suggestion Bryan. I have this book and the best photo they have is similar to the 1946 photo I posted. No side doors on those trailers, just the canvas covering. They all have a solid front end so maybe these things were converted later to a loading platform.

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:01:31 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »
0
David,

If your copy of the Harnack book ever happens to fall into a scanner, send me a copy.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
0
Bryan,

My understanding is that the MRHA is planning on reprinting this book in the "near future". I will try to find out more details.

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:01:38 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Ever seen a semi trailer like this?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
0
Bryan,

Got a message from the MRHA secretary this evening. They are reprinting 500 copies of the Beer Line book, and they will be on sale at the NMRA convention in Milwaukee in July. I suspect that these will go quickly. I have placed an order for a couple, let me know if you want me to pick up an extra one for you.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.