Author Topic: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale  (Read 1270 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2026, 08:33:31 PM »
+1
I'd extend the ridge, perhaps just not as far, if only to limit the line of sight towards the entrance tunnel curve.  Otherwise, as an Oregonian, I can vouch that you've captured the look of the Deschutes River canyon and its high desert transition.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

southernman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 131
  • Respect: +57
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2026, 10:35:24 PM »
0
I’ve been wondering, what is that support holding up ? I’ve been considering adding another level but I’d have to use something like this on the most prominent corner of the layout.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10590
  • Respect: +1771
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2026, 01:20:54 AM »
+1
I'm with Sirenwerks.  The hill, as it is now, may not be accurate for that location.  But it looks very natural for central Oregon, and much of the Inland Northwest.  Such abrupt hillsides are common in flood basalt territory.
N Kalanaga
Be well

dkerber123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Respect: +60
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2026, 08:27:07 PM »
+2
I'd extend the ridge, perhaps just not as far, if only to limit the line of sight towards the entrance tunnel curve.  Otherwise, as an Oregonian, I can vouch that you've captured the look of the Deschutes River canyon and its high desert transition.
Thanks Sirenwerks and nkalanaga for the confirmation that my scenery is capturing the look of the area! I did a quick mockup of my thoughts for expanding that mountain, it could work well!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 08:31:27 PM by dkerber123 »

dkerber123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Respect: +60
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2026, 08:32:59 PM »
+1
I’ve been wondering, what is that support holding up ? I’ve been considering adding another level but I’d have to use something like this on the most prominent corner of the layout.

It’s a support post to hold up that side of the valance/lighting frame.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

dkerber123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Respect: +60
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2026, 03:05:43 PM »
+4
I got the addition to the mountain formed, just waiting for everything to dry before starting the scenery. I think it turned out pretty good, with the exception of one hard line near the north entrance of Tunnel 5 (after the track enters the scenic area from from staging).
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 03:08:42 PM by dkerber123 »

Laughlin Jones

  • Posts: 11
  • Respect: +11
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2026, 06:52:20 PM »
0
Very cool!

dkerber123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Respect: +60
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2026, 10:52:26 AM »
+4
This ridge extension is coming along nicely. I eliminated the hard line in the spot I didn’t think looked right by adding some more basalt cliffs carved out of plaster. I also got the first layer of ground cover on and will start adding vegetation today.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2026, 10:55:46 AM by dkerber123 »

N Scale Train Boy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 144
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +191
    • The Balfour and Colucci Creek Southern Railroad
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2026, 11:02:40 AM »
0
Looking great!
Check out my YouTube Channel youtube.com/@NScaleTrainBoy and the B&CCS at bccsrailroad.weebly.com!

-Dennis

Bob

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 469
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +623
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2026, 04:57:07 PM »
0
Very nice job with that ridge extension - the variegated coloring and rock/debris field at the base look really good. Your layout shows the strength of N scale: scenery that towers over the tracks/trains rather than the other way around.  THanks for posting your work in progress.

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5079
  • Respect: +2094
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2026, 05:31:38 PM »
0
It’s a support post to hold up that side of the valance/lighting frame.

Can you support the frame from the ceiling instead, and then remove the post?

Ed

dkerber123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Respect: +60
Re: BNSF Oregon Trunk Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2026, 10:50:06 PM »
+4
Thank you N Scale Train Boy and Bob! Ed, thank you for holding me accountable on that! I’ve been giving that support post some thought and I think I have a solution. Once I get the valance put back up, I may transition that post to the outside of the layout from the facia to the valance. The option of attaching it to the ceiling is out because I’m trying to keep the layout somewhat portable.

Here’s updated pictures of that ridge extension and canyon area.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2026, 02:19:03 AM by dkerber123 »