Author Topic: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....  (Read 470 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« on: September 18, 2026, 09:24:06 AM »
0
Can anybody give me the dimensions of this model in N scale feet?

I have a photo of the prototype and have the diameter from the Sanborn maps, so a diameter of the model in feet and optional height is what I'm looking for.

This thing could be way oversized, I can't tell.

https://walthers.com/products/steel-water-tank-kit-2-x-2-x-4-1-2-5-x-5-x-11-4cm?variant=53179608596845&srsltid=AfmBOopHD5Kj1rZoFjSBh_5yDM6yP_jHXsN06ckamX9y5JbDjSzzWEJwTkg

But it sure looks right.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2026, 10:24:45 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2026, 04:12:00 PM »
0
Tank is 28.5' across. Whole thing is 55' tall.

I can send it to you. I've had it all these years and never found a use for it.

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2026, 05:55:10 PM »
0
Yikes.   Exactly......   I'm looking for a tank that's got a capacity of 100,000 gallons (according to the Sanborne map), and I have an aerial photo from the 1940's that makes it look about 35 feet tall, and if the Sanborne map is even close, around 22-24' in diameter.   I'm judging height next to a known building that is 34' high and still standing today.

I could not figure out what "100" meant in a Sanborne map until I checked the key, it's not height, it's capacity for a water tank.

I just went through all 58 pages of the PRR drawings, don't see a 100K tank.  Biggest one is 50K.  This is steel, like the Walthers, same design just a pointed top instead of round.

So yeah, it's really way big, even if I did cut it down.   Huh.   Still looking for a better photo, anything.

I found this in HO, it looks just like it, and if I hadn't seen "100" in the Sanborne map, I'd say this is the exact tank..... 

https://resourcedrails.com/products/copy-of-ho-brass-psc-precision-scale-co-various-roads-75-000-gallon-free-standing-water-tank

Well, I noticed on the box they also did a 100K, yup, they did, and it's just the big brother same design..... any SPF's got plans?  If Sanborne is right, then this is it, if it was about 35 feet tall or so.

https://brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/096077/HO-Brass-Model-Railworks-PRR-Pennsylvania-Standard-100000-Gallon-Steel-Water-Tank-Unpainted-1993-Run-Woo-Sung


« Last Edit: September 18, 2026, 06:45:48 PM by randgust »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2026, 06:46:48 PM »
0
%$$! Chris, I looked through all of those.... Bingo.... let me study that.

So the 100K is 26' in diameter, and if you follow the formula on that plan sheet -  works out to about 59' high.

The Walthers is 28' by 55 tall?????   Wow, close enough in my world.   I'll take that deal unless some enterprising SPF wants to print one off those plans.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2026, 06:54:28 PM by randgust »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2026, 08:18:44 PM »
0
I searched "PRR water tower 3D model"



Quote
PRR Drawing 61970

It was a 3d model for gamming not 3d printing.

learmoia

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4663
  • Respect: +1285
    • The Youtube Channel
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2026, 07:57:49 PM »
0
%$$! Chris, I looked through all of those.... Bingo.... let me study that.

So the 100K is 26' in diameter, and if you follow the formula on that plan sheet -  works out to about 59' high.

The Walthers is 28' by 55 tall?????   Wow, close enough in my world.   I'll take that deal unless some enterprising SPF wants to print one off those plans.

The overall dims are 2x2x4.5.. and the overall footprint is a bit larger than the diameter of the tank.
So the actual tank dim is probably more like 24' to 26'..

Wondering if you could use the rix grain bin roof.. The Rix bin is 1 13/16" diameter.
https://rixproducts.com/product/corrugated-30-grain-bin-n/

« Last Edit: September 22, 2026, 08:08:17 PM by learmoia »
It turns out you can get black confetti in the shape of d'cks...

dem34

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1885
  • Gender: Male
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1451
Re: Walthers cornerstone steel water tank dimensions.....
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2026, 09:56:19 AM »
0
Worth remembering, Sanborn maps are accurate enough for Insurance information. But they can be slightly off for small details. Theres always the chance inspector asked for a capacity, then rounded it to a whole number that sounded right in his head.
-Al