Author Topic: Is older Unitrack as good (same ) as current stuff?  (Read 1047 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Is older Unitrack as good (same ) as current stuff?
« on: February 03, 2021, 12:47:20 PM »
0
I'm putting together a small layout for my son with some Kato Unitrack I've had for years.  This stuff has a lighter shade of ballast color and copper color rail joiners (which I will replace).  I seem to hear about how Unitrack stays pretty clean, but these pieces get dirty really fast.

Is there a difference between the early stuff and now?

Thanks,

Jason

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4053
  • Respect: +2384
    • My website
Re: Is older Unitrack as good (same ) as current stuff?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
0
Just my opinion, but I would say no.

I have used unitrack for about 20 years. Or more. 
I have several pieces that:
Won’t hold joiners.
Split in the joining area.

They are all the older version. 

I think the later stuff is a bit stronger.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3831
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1376
Re: Is older Unitrack as good (same ) as current stuff?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:27:24 PM »
0
Have to agree with Ron. My newer unitrak is noticeably better then the older (light grey) and very old (brown with concrete ties) track I have...

Like you said it seems to get dirty quicker and even corrodes.

brill27mcb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 236
  • Respect: +81
Re: Is older Unitrack as good (same ) as current stuff?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 06:34:09 PM »
0
I've used the earlier light gray track and replaced the Unijoiners with new ones, which seems to help a lot.

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys