0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I can get a steel mod 0.4 worm with a 1.8mm bore that should fit well in the Arnold steam loco. My only concern is not understanding WHY there is so much wear on the brass worm in the first place. In the back of my mind, the nagging worry is that the steel worm may not wear out, but it might start wearing out the worm gear instead.Regardless, putting a steel worm in there will probably fix the problem. I'm heavily leaning in that direction because I'd like to fix this thing with a sure-file "kill" and not have it become a science project.
While the mechanical engineering and metallurgy info being presented here is sound, I think that the problem is way over analyzed.Since the infancy of N scale, there were probably hundreds of thousands (or more) models produced with all brass or bronze gearing (including the worm) and I don't ever recall big outcry about worn out gears or worms. People ran those models for hundreds of hours (likely with no, or minimal maintenance), and they kept on chugging on. We're not talking about huge amounts of torque being transferred here - these are tiny toys we are playing with.I suspect that Max is being a bit paranoid after seeing the original wear on Lee's model. I suspect the brass shavings he saw was the initial break in of the worm gear (by the worm). Once it is all worn-in, the amount of brass shavings will decrease dramatically.
You must keep them oiled. If you're running brass on brass gears successfully that tells you that the engaged finish is decent, at least for the load, and the lubrication is adequate. Once any of those things are compromised it goes downhill rapidly. Brass on Delrin will benefit from oil, for the friction, but will not destroy itself if run dry and actually runs reasonably friction free when run dry, just not as free as oiled. Some even prefer to run them dry to limit the attraction of dirt. If you have the choice, you shouldn't do brass on brass (or even bronze on bronze) but if you have them anyway, keep them oiled. There's plenty of engineering literature on this that explains why this is and plenty of chewed up brass gears in locomotives that show what happens when run dry or started life with a bad fit/ finish.
I agree with all of this, except I'm not sure about that last part. Yes, I suppose it's possible that the worm needs to wear a little to a point where the worm wheel no longer scrapes any more off it, but I'm not sure about this. It strikes me as odd that visible brass dust would appear after just an hour or so of running on a worm that came out of another engine that was probably also 40+ years old. The worm was in excellent condition, but it wasn't brand new. I'll allow that it has to wear against the worm wheel in this particular engine in order for its surfaces to mate up, but it still seems odd that there is brass dust with such a short run time.