0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Okay, I finally found where the ramp is (barely) in the picture. In the modern picture the ramp would have been right on Allegheny Ave across from the baseball fields. The only remaining structure from the 1927 picture is the two story yard office which is used as an office now by the cement plant.Spent many a years a child in the area with my great grandfather who was a stevedore at Tioga and Richmond (accompanying him to many a poker game and bookie visits after he retired) . Then I spent several years there doing ship boardings and inspections. It was sad to see the end when they blew up the old silos.Lots of those pics were from a much better time in that area. Then it became a dump and now the hipsters are moving in. Used to love the Polish bakery and restaurant over on Richmond.
Used to love the Polish bakery and restaurant over on Richmond.
Ahh yes, Richmond Bakery rye bread. Syreneka's restaurant/cafeteria still going strong (Richmond & Allegheny). Outstanding potato pancakes. Wife and I will get an order and I'll add meat pierogies to the order as well. Enough starch for a few days then.