Author Topic: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s  (Read 1501 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:51:52 AM »
0
So as part of my potential switch in prototypes, I'm looking for information regarding what type of industries were located on the Savage Industrial, Columbia Branch, and Waterloo Branches during the mid to late 80s. I have a Roadway Map showing the Waterloo Branch which back then was a Food Center and it is still today so I'm guess that it was basically the same type of industries just different names. The other two seem to have gone through many different variations of who was where and when. Any info from our DC/Baltimore are folks would be greatly appreciated either posting here or PM/email.

Thanks,

Phil
- Phil

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5868
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4871
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
0
Perhaps you could ask Mr. Sprague as his Annapolis Junction included Jessup.  He might have some information/inspiration for you.  Maybe some buildings to, as looking at his website shows he is changing modeling interest to the 1901 Ma & Pa  :D

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
+1
Perhaps you could ask Mr. Sprague as his Annapolis Junction included Jessup.  He might have some information/inspiration for you.  Maybe some buildings to, as looking at his website shows he is changing modeling interest to the 1901 Ma & Pa  :D

Already did that, :)

Phil
- Phil

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5868
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4871
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
0
Already did that, :)

Phil

I figured that, but posted anyway in case the thought didn't come across  :D

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
0
The end of the line was SEARS warehouse ..

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »
0
Heard back from Mr. Sprague. Basically, by the time anyone really started looking at those parks, outside of the Food Center, they were changing industries/vacancies abound so who knows what was there. The old GE plan was back up the Columbia Secondary but I know that got slowly phased away in the 80s (and closed last piece in early 90s if I read stuff right). His suggestion was modelers license for interesting industries in an office park setting if I use it for inspiration/proto-influenced,

Phil
- Phil

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
0
I lived in Howard County at that time and was in high school in the early 80s. The biggest industry on the Columbia Branch was a GE appliance assembly plant, part of which is still there, repurposed as a warehouse and what not. Shame they don't route MARC into that location with all that parking available.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jpec

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 862
  • Gender: Male
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +177
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »
0
I lived in Howard County at that time and was in high school in the early 80s. The biggest industry on the Columbia Branch was a GE appliance assembly plant, part of which is still there, repurposed as a warehouse and what not. Shame they don't route MARC into that location with all that parking available.

Because when you factor in the new transportation center at Annapolis Junction, it would only make sense. Even if it was light rail or a push-pull between Columbia and Annap. Jct. it would make sense.
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

jpec

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 862
  • Gender: Male
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +177
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
0
Across from where the modern day Carmax is, there was a LPG dealer that was rail served. I think it was Poist Gas...they are still there but the rails are long gone. I have a friend who has lived there since the 60's; I'll reach out to him for the other stuff that was along the Savage branch...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »
0
Across from where the modern day Carmax is, there was a LPG dealer that was rail served. I think it was Poist Gas...they are still there but the rails are long gone. I have a friend who has lived there since the 60's; I'll reach out to him for the other stuff that was along the Savage branch...

Jeff

Ah yeah, I remember that - near Savage IIRC.


conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:02 AM »
0
I lived in Howard County at that time and was in high school in the early 80s. The biggest industry on the Columbia Branch was a GE appliance assembly plant, part of which is still there, repurposed as a warehouse and what not. Shame they don't route MARC into that location with all that parking available.

I thought I've read their looking at turning that whole branch into some kind of light rail or extension to MARC up the 32 median as fas they can go?

Phil
- Phil

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Industrial Parks near Jessup, Md, in late 80s/early90s
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 03:17:27 AM »
0
Across from where the modern day Carmax is, there was a LPG dealer that was rail served. I think it was Poist Gas...they are still there but the rails are long gone. I have a friend who has lived there since the 60's; I'll reach out to him for the other stuff that was along the Savage branch...

Jeff

I think that's on the original Savage branch that had the Truss bridge on it into "downtown" Savage,

Phil
- Phil