Author Topic: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures  (Read 613 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GimpLizard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 551
  • Respect: +63
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:52:00 PM »
0
I decided I had better do a fact check on the info in the reference book I used; The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975.  So, I asked Google; "When did the 5-mph bumper law go into effect?"

Here what Google AI generated:

The 5-mph federal bumper standard (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 215) went into effect on September 1, 1972, for the 1973 model year.

Hmmm. Well now I need to double check my memory. So I did a search for pictures of the '73 Camaro. And all I could find were ones that had either the full-width thin bumper, like this;

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Or the thin, split bumpers at the corners, like this;

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I could not find any 1973 versions with the massive bumper that the '74 model had.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Now, what I'm not sure of is whether or not those '73 bumpers were mounted to those energy absorbing shocks (or whatever they were called). But even if they were, I can't image they'd protect the headlights much.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:54:00 PM by GimpLizard »

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3567
  • Respect: +1939
Re: A New Taxi from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:27:08 AM »
0
!!!!



HEY!!!  THAT'S MY Z!!

I had one exactly like this while serving at EDTRASUPDET at the Charleston SC Naval Base, 'cept mine was a '72 and had a bored & blueprinted LT1 with angle plug heads (ported & polished), 11.5/1 TRW pistons, Edelbrock Smokey Ram manifold, Holley 650 double-pumper, Hooker under-the-door headers/mufflers, set up for handling, not drag racing with Koni shocks & modified TransAm springs...with BFG Radial T/A's all around and many more engine & suspension particulars that I can't remember.  One HOT car, which I finally sold before it killed me.

Nice to see it again!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: Today at 04:47:49 AM by robert3985 »